Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Fat Squirrel clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #41
FightingBob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAtHeart View Post
Subbing the Carabelge for the Caravienne was a stab in the dark. Does anyone have any input on what I might expect out of that, or whether this was a good choice?
I'm not entirely sure, but I think you'll get a darker beer with a more body with the carabelge.

Let us know how it turns out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #42
chriltz
Recipes 

Going to brew this one up this weekend only i am thinking of adding maple at some point. was thinking about some in secondary and then priming with it.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #43
FightingBob
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

So I brewed this up and tasted it this week. It's good, but a little less malty flavor than Fat Squirrel, I think.

I don't want to start a decoction mash debate, but I read recently that Dan Carey swears by them. Has anyone tried a deocoction with this recipe? I have never tried to do one, but I may just for the fun of it the next time I brew this.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #44
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I brewed this using the Maris Otter malt instead of the Pilsner malt and it came out great. 4-weeks after brewing I wasn't sure if I liked it but after 6-weeks the chocolate/toffee flavor really started popping.

I haven't tried the real Fat Squirrel so I don't know how it compares... but if you like low IBU brown ales then you should like this one.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #45
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Brewed this recently. Using the starting recipe here and with comments I 'crafted':

5 lb MO
5 lb Munich
3 lb 2 row
1 lb C20
1 lb flaked barley and oats
0.5 choc malt
0.25 lb cherrywood smoke malt (for fun)

Mashed at 155, FWH chinook and flavored saaz.

I pitched a starter of wlp001 that I probably didn't give long enough- 24 hr; ferment was a nail biter as it didn't start for 40 hours and I almost pitched some 05. But I read the forum that said don't do anything for 72 hours. It's going gangbusters now!

Too much Munich? I was going for MALTY....

Old 12-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #46
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Default Darn. Good. Beer.

I really appreciate the starting recipe, sorry to sort of take so much license with it. Regardless, I wanted to share how this beer is evolving. Also, please excuse my lack of Beersmith or other software. Here was my recipe with additional details:

6 gallon batch
5 lb MO
5 lb Munich
3 lb 2 row
1 lb C20
1 lb flaked barley
1 lb flaked oats
0.5 choc malt
0.25 lb cherrywood smoke malt (for fun)

OG 1.065 ; FG 1.016

Mashed at 155,
FWH chinook 1.25 oz
10' Saaz 2 oz

Ferment with WLP001 for a month, primary only (~62F)

I bottled this about ten days ago and broke into one early last night. Even with low carb it has a nice mouthfeel and the smoke malt has died down a lot from my earlier hydrometer tastings (this was worrying me!).

The beer does have a good helping of malt flavor/sweet that blends nicely with the Saaz and finishes just hair of smoke. I'm really looking forward to this beer aging. Cheers!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #48
JimTheHick
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
That sounds really good! I never even thought about adding smoked malt to it.
I've been giving that cherrywood smoke malt the stink eye for quite a while. I'm no huge fan of rauchbier, but was intrigued by just a hint of smoke. Really glad I only went with 4 ounces instead of half a pound!

Old 12-12-2011, 03:41 AM   #49
JimTheHick
Recipes 

I also just bottled Denny's ryePA using the 1450 yeast. Wow it tastes nice. Cold crashing really cleared it up. Really stoked for this and the ipa i made with the 1450!

Thanks for the tips, Yooper!

Old 01-20-2012, 05:50 AM   #50
EdgeBrewer
Recipes 

Gonna brew this tomorrow, excited cause you can't get Fat Squirrel in IL anymore. Last summer a bunch of us FIBS rode out to New Glarus and camped out at the site right across from the brewery. Partied throughout the night (drinking NG throughout) and then in the morning walked over to the brewery for a tour, they where more than generous. And I didn't screw up the grain bill on this one (read recent post). Maybe this is cart before the horse but I would like to thank Yooper for posting so many great recipes. But even if I screw this up, she, like so many of the mods on this site are quick to respond and informative in said responses. Thanks and Cheers!

Quick Reply