Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Fat Squirrel clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #21
schia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks Yooper. Going to see if my local brew shop carry all this or not. This will be on my list after Coopers Irish stout and the OSH brew from HBT.

I wish I have had more equiptments to play around.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #22
flipper51
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It has to be a partial mash, because of the oats. So let's see, you'd have to be able to mash 4 pounds of grains at a minimum.

1 pound Caravienne malt
1 pound Munich malt
1 pound flaked Oats
12 ounces flaked barley
4 ounces chocolate malt
I'd defer to Yooper's greater expertise, but I think the one pound of munich might not come close to converting all that adjunct. I don't think there is any easy way to do a partial mash for this recipe, but I'm guessing you'd need to use a pound of pilsner, or even 6-row, in place of the munich. You could then compensate for that with 2-4 oz of melanoidin malt if you want.

Ultimately though, with all the great recipes out there I just don't think it's worth trying to pull this one off if you can't do a full mash. Or, if you're hell-bent to try, and can mash a couple pounds, maybe just make a very small batch? You mind discover you like the process and open up to the dark side of all grain insanity.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Yooper, another great recipe! Served some of this to a few friends this weekend and they asked me why I was handing out New Glarus and not homebrew!

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 03-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #24
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
Yooper, another great recipe! Served some of this to a few friends this weekend and they asked me why I was handing out New Glarus and not homebrew!
I'm glad you all liked it! I need to make it again soon.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:23 AM   #25
schia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
6 pounds Pilsner malt
1 pound Caravienne malt
1 pound Munich malt
1 pound flaked Oats
12 ounces flaked barley
4 ounces chocolate malt

.50 Magnum (FWH)
1.00 Saaz (10 minutes)

Mash at 154 for an hour. Sparge to reach boil volume. If using the pilsner malt, boil for 90 minutes.

Attachment 10251

When I was out of pilsner malt, I used maris otter malt, and it came out great! I also used chinook for bittering, since I was out of magnum. That worked well, too.

This recipe has been brewed numerous times by Bernie Brewer and he has photos in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/fat-...l-clone-47671/
Hello there,

I basically dont have anything to mash with and I dont want to buy 1 either. Can i put all the malts, oats and barley into a bag and brew it? yup thats right, can i BIAB this recipe?

Old 03-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #26
flipper51
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schia View Post
Hello there,

I basically dont have anything to mash with and I dont want to buy 1 either. Can i put all the malts, oats and barley into a bag and brew it? yup thats right, can i BIAB this recipe?
I'm no expert on BIAB, but I don't see why not. There's a lot of adjunct in this recipe though, so make sure to give the mash plenty of time (at least an hour) for conversion.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
perky182
Recipes 

I brewed this last week pretty much following the original recipe. I did use Maris Otter though, instead of the Pilsner. Wort going into the primary smelled and tasted great and am looking forward to a bottle of it soon. My question is, has anyone tried bottling this with brown sugar instead of corn sugar? Or does anyone have an opinion on how this would taste? Its my first go at this recipe and I dont want to ruin it right out the gate.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #28
flipper51
Recipes 

You can bottle with brown sugar, and it won't really ruin anything, but I don't think it's worth it. In the small amounts that you use for bottling I wouldn't expect any noticeable flavor difference, and you might get a different carbonation level (that depends on whether the two sugar types give the same gravity points, which I don't know off the top of my head).

Anyway, the taste difference, if you can detect it at all, should be a slight molasses note.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #29
pstrohs
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I had my first stuck sparge with this batch today. I switched from my SS braid to a kettle screen. My first runnings went fine for the first minute and then it completely stopped. I had to move the wort and grains to another cooler. Luckily I kept my old SS braid so I attached it to my mash tun and put the grains and wort back in. The rest of the brew day went fine and I ended up with 82% efficiency. The only reason I wanted to get rid of the SS braid was because it was getting a lot of dings and dents in it but it was working fine. I guess if it aint broke don't fix it. But anyway, I am very excited to see how this beer turns out.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

Keezer Build

Old 06-13-2011, 12:03 AM   #30
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4626 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrohs View Post
I had my first stuck sparge with this batch today. I switched from my SS braid to a kettle screen. My first runnings went fine for the first minute and then it completely stopped. I had to move the wort and grains to another cooler. Luckily I kept my old SS braid so I attached it to my mash tun and put the grains and wort back in. The rest of the brew day went fine and I ended up with 82% efficiency. The only reason I wanted to get rid of the SS braid was because it was getting a lot of dings and dents in it but it was working fine. I guess if it aint broke don't fix it. But anyway, I am very excited to see how this beer turns out.
Sounds like a typical brewday to me! I've only had a few brewdays that went like clockwork, and it felt really weird. I usually manage to leave a valve open, overshoot my HLT temp, have a boil over, or something- just to keep me humble, I guess.

Glad the rest of the brewday went fine for you.

Quick Reply