Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
ohiobrewtus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
I may have to try this soon.

I threw this in beersmith, everything halved for a 5.5gal batch. Attached is the BSM file, just in case anyone wants to skip a step - ohiobrewtus, I'd be happy to remove it if you want to put up your own, or just want me to take it down, or whatever.
Good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of doing that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Here is Evan!'s review of this beer (http://homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=539327&posted=1#post539327)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!

Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

First off, I've gotta say that there's nothing quite as awesome as the wife opening the fridge and asking, "hey, Evan, what's EF?" Werrrd.

Pour/Aesthetic: I don't know if you bottled from a keg or not, but the carbonation on this one was a little high for any beer, and especially for a porter. I poured gently and ended up with a good 2" of foam that took awhile to settle down. The head was off-white with a large bubble matrix due to the high level of CO2. The color of the beer itself was dark brown to black, with some slight red at the very edges.

Aroma: As usual, the overcarbing lead to a weird metallic smell that took a few minutes to dissipate. After that, it was all chocolate and roasted notes. No hop aroma. A little coffee, a little raisin.

Palate: This is where it really shines. The balance is impeccable! I love the chocolate notes, I love the slightly smoky roasted notes, and there's a faint hop flavor too in the form of spiciness. Best of all, the mouthfeel is silky (after I let it sit in a glass and offgas some of the carbonation, that is), and the body is nice and full. It reminded me of eating chocolate ice cream while drinking coffee---so, actually, like an Affogato (espresso on gelato). Freakin' delicious. I wouldn't change a thing about the palate.

Proximity to Style: I've never had the "real" EF, but I'm a fan of Robust porters and as such have tried plenty. This has everything the style demands, except for the carbonation level.

Overall Impression: The one and only flaw was the high carbonation. Otherwise, this is a masterpiece and I wouldn't change a thing. Make this your house porter, and brew it alot. And then send some more to me. The roastiness is beautiful without being over the top, and reminds me almost of grilled red meat. The chocolate flavors are wonderful, and are accentuated by the creamy texture. Thanks for sharing!

Score: 43/50

Last edited by ohiobrewtus; 02-21-2008 at 07:06 PM.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I just traded some Westvleteren for some Michingan beers and got one of these. I don't really like porter, but am forever changed since enjoying this baby. i am dying to brew it! It's slightly more carbonated than other porters I have tried, but the toasty richness followed up with a crisp dry finish is sensational. This is a beer I want to drink while firing up the HLT. Did this recipe produce that perfect dry finish like the real deal?

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 02-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #15
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i like the look of this. could i pitch it directly onto a windsor yeast cake from an IPA? i don't want to have to run to the LHBS!

Old 02-19-2008, 06:03 PM   #16
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Ya sure. If you've got the cake you might as well use it. I've never used anything other than WPL007, but Windsor should be fine.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
cd2448

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I figured it'd be ok - but I haven't pitched on the cake before so wanted to get a second opinion.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:04 PM   #18
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Another HBT member review is available here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperbrew
Here are my notes:

First, it was overcarbed quite a bit. This was not an issue, as I just poured it and let it settle. I think he told me he was concerned it would lose carbonation in transit (bottled from a keg) so he added a carb tab. It poured with a big tan head but then faded nicely, and left wonderful lacing on the glass. This beer was dark- very dark, with a nice tan head on it. It was very attractive!

Aroma: The first "smell" I get is of roastiness and then some raisin notes. Very balanced aroma- it just smells so good!

Taste: Oh, this was very good. The raisin notes came through, and there was a perfect balance of a hint of chocolate and mild coffee-like roastiness. This beer was full bodied, rich, and flavorful. No real hop flavor noted, no esters, or diacetyl. I really liked this beer!

Mouthfeel: Rich, and almost creamy. Wonderful!

Now, I told Ohiobrewtus that I've had the real Edmund Fitzgerald, and I noticed some differences, so I wouldn't say this is a clone. It's better, actually! The full body works in this beer, as well as a hint of roastiness. I think EF is thinner bodied, without the deep flavor notes and without the roastiness. When we go to the NHBC, I plan on trying his side by side with the "real" EF to see if I'm right.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 AM   #19
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to let the ladies know that SWMBO has found a great combination. She likes a shot of EF and a Young's Ram Rod Ale at the same time. Kinda weird.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 02-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #20
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog
I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to let the ladies know that SWMBO has found a great combination. She likes a shot of EF and a Young's Ram Rod Ale at the same time. Kinda weird.
You know I was going to say something but I think I'll let this one stand on it's own!

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply