Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #111
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just got the grains for this on Saturday. I brewed an APA yesterday, but will brew this soon. I saw with interest that someone substituted Willamette for the Cascade. I just threw out my 2009 Willamette hops due to overproduction. They smelled good though. I have loads more of Willamette from 2010.

I went to Wines and More looking for EF, but they said that it is not available in MA. In notice that the Beer Advocate gives it a straight 'A' though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 PM   #112
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

According to EF website:

HOPS
Northern Brewer: Traditional bittering hop for English style ales; provides strong bitterness to complement strong/assertive flavors of this porter
Fuggle: Traditional English hop for flavor in English ales; contributes milder earthy and woody aromas and flavors; adds complexity
Cascade: U.S. hop with citrus characteristics for aroma to balance roasted malts and add American element to this English style

Old 11-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #113
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, brewed 5.5 gallons (or thereabouts) on Saturday. OSG was 1.057 (but I used a spectrometer). I used Northern Brewer, Cascade and Willamette hops. The Northern Brewer hops were left over pellets and the othes were whole hops that I grew. I guess that's it. It was bubbling loudly last night, so I had to move the bucket away from the bedroom so I could sleep. I used the dry yeast as I don't prefer fussing with the liquid stuff unless I have a wheat beer.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #114
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just reading back, I did adjust my water with chalk, epsom salt, sea salt (1/3 tsp), and bakiing powder. If forget all the amounts. I used the EZ water profile calculater. Based on my water and the SRM that water adjustments should be fine. I needed the little sea salt to get the Chloride ratio correct.

For 5.5 gallons I used 1/2 ounce Northern Brewer Hops, about 2 ounces of Cascade in the boil and then 1/2 ounce additions of Willamette. The Northern Brewer hops had a pretty strong smell and were 10% (alpha?)

Old 11-06-2010, 05:13 AM   #115
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

I tried the BYO recipe without getting too wound up in it.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/edmund-fitzgerald-porter-clone-tribute-202821/

I used whole Cascade hops in lieu of pellets, no yeast nutrient, and used a dry yeast.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #116
KeithMoonsLiver
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

made a partial mash version of this a few months ago. used windsor, which only got it down to 1.021, also ended up miscalculating the hops and have around 50-60 IBU. Still probably the best beer I've made yet, planning on making another soon with S-04.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #117
bmason1623
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I'm a newbie here so I need to ask questions. I have the EF clone in a secondary (after 1 week in primary) at the current moment. I will be kegging on 11/28. I noticed in the original post that the beer was carbed at 30 PSI for a total of 2.5 days (with a gentle stir after 2 days). Please correct me if i'm wrong but isn't that just under 3.5 weeks from brew to serve time? Will that be enough time to produce a good tasting beer? OTH, I don't want to wait forever for my beer to condition either. By the way, my wort tasted fantastic just after boiling.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #118
JMass
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I kept mine in primary for about 2 weeks. From there I kegged and added 'gyle' for natural carbonation. This carbonated quite fast and I was drinking it in a few days after that. Tastes great. It might have fermented a point or 2 more if I had waited longer before kegging. Right now it tastes like a dark chocolate milkshake to me. My wife said it was too sweet, but then said it wasn't. I think it has a slight sweetness balanced by the grains and leser extent the hops. I set the kegerator for 45F which seems an OK temp for this EF.

I don't understand the gentle stir comment above. Won't you lose your pressure if you stir the keg?

Anyway, the bottom line is YUM

Old 11-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #119
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

Three days in the bottle and mine is tasting pretty good already.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #120
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
Three days in the bottle and mine is tasting pretty good already.
Why are you drinking it after three days in bottles?

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply