Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Edmund Fitzgerald Clone (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #91
JMass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never tried real EF. I did have this at my LHBS during my last trip. They have 2 homebrews on tap when you go to buy something, which is nice. It was very smooth and tasty. I have a lot of Willamette from my hop garden, a lot of Sterling and some Cascade in my freezer, so this could be the next brew. I'll just put in Cascade and/or Sterling in instead of the Centennial.

I'm not sure when to brew - probably in June. I have a small kegerator with 2 taps and I have 3 kegs. The kegs are empty now, but I have a batch in primary and one in secondary - both Cascade Pale Ale varieties.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #92
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

brewed this yesterday. didn't take any grav readings but I hit my mash temp. only change was i subbed cascade. I made a 1.4L starter for WLP007, and it was blowing off this morning. strongest ferment i've ever had.

only concern is right now brewmometer reads 73F. i'll probably run it down to the basement tonight, it's 60F down there.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 AM   #93
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just an update since my last post. After a few months of aging in the keg, this baby has turned out fantastic. Still not EF...but a damn good porter. Nice work Ohio.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 06-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #94
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

good to hear. i just racked mine to secondary (need more kegs...) after 4wks. tasted pretty darn good. probably will sit in the secondary for 3 or so weeks.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #95
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

All I can say is the flavor definitely improves over time.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 07-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #96
motobrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

pulled a sample after two weeks on the gas. unfortunately i'm fermenting an oktoberfest right now so all my beer is at 52F. my only change was I subbed cascade for centennial.

excellent beer! well balanced, completely smooth. a month ago it had a bit of sharpness to it but that has rounded out. I noted that it was a bit sweet, however the finish is dry (for a porter).

haven't had EF in awhile, I might have to pick up a 6er to do a comparison.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #97
chase

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this back in January. I replaced the Centennials with more willamette. I hit the gravity values perfectly. I've never had this beer commercially, but my god, it is good.

I took a few to my homebrew club and they all loved it, including our president who just won midwest homebrewer of the year. I also put a couple gallons on some sweet cherries. It was possibly the best beer I've every had. I am definitely going to make this again, and I am definitely going to enter it in some competitions.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Old 09-27-2010, 01:28 AM   #98
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
I brewed this back in January. I replaced the Centennials with more willamette. I hit the gravity values perfectly. I've never had this beer commercially, but my god, it is good.

I took a few to my homebrew club and they all loved it, including our president who just won midwest homebrewer of the year. I also put a couple gallons on some sweet cherries. It was possibly the best beer I've every had. I am definitely going to make this again, and I am definitely going to enter it in some competitions.
Did you follow basically the recipe of the OP? What yeast did you use? What temp have people been fermenting this at?

Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 AM   #99
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

I fermented this at 68F as I do for all of my ales. Turned out great.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #100
crlova2
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

ohiobrewtus,

I am doing this recipe this weekend. I am going to make a starter tomorrow and I ordered two vials of the wlp007. I saw on your recipe that you use 1 vial with a 2 quart starter. I have a 2L erlymer flask I make starters with on a stir plate. My question is whether I should use both vials in the starter or just use one?

Thanks

Quick Reply