Born to be Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewtastic

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Dry Nottingham
Yeast Starter
for a mild?
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Roasty, toasty and easy to drink.
5 lbs. American 2-Row
8oz. Chocolate Malt
8oz. American Crystal 60L

1 oz. Target Pellet Hops 8% AA 15 minutes.

1 packet English Nottingham Yeast

Carbed to 2 volumes.

Mash at 151 for an hour - single infusion.

This is a great dark beer for the summer. So easy to drink, and just a shade over 3% ABV. A little bit of chocolate and coffee notes round it out nicely and there's a small amount of fruity esters coming through.

Not the best Dark Mild in the world, but I'm proud of it.

It would be better with some MO or a little British Pale, but I have a big sack of 2-Row hanging around.

It was something I decided to brew on the fly. My supply line was getting a little low and wanted to just brew without buying anything, and wanted something that would be ready in a hurry.

jmo88 said:
A 15 minute boil? Did it taste like corn?

I assume it was an hour boil, with but a single hop addition at 15 minutes before the end. With such a high AA hop, that's probably all the bittering a small beer like this needs.

Homebrewtastic said:
30 minute boil. And no it didn't. It's not pilsner malt, it's 2 row. The small amount of DMS from two row combined with the small grain bill, it didn't take long to boil off.

Sorry. I realize I may have sounded like a d!ck. I was actually sincerely curious if you noticed this from short boil.

No worries.

2-row is kilned at a higher temperature the pilsner, so SMM (the DMS precursor) is mostly driven off in the kilning process. So there's not much DMS to be boiled off. Plus DMS can be fermented out with a rigorous fermentation.

Latest posts

Back