Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > Partial - BBD Brown Biscuit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM   #121
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts

Hi ChshreCat, this is a recipe I've been wanting to try for a while now. I think now is the time! One quick question though: I have some Crystal hops on hand and am thinking about subbing them for the fuggles. Do you think they will drastically alter the flavor of this beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #122
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
Hi ChshreCat, this is a recipe I've been wanting to try for a while now. I think now is the time! One quick question though: I have some Crystal hops on hand and am thinking about subbing them for the fuggles. Do you think they will drastically alter the flavor of this beer?
It'll be different, but I don't think it'll be bad at all. The hops aren't really dominant in this brew anyway.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #123
brewbeerry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just brewed based off this recipe yesterday with what I had on hand for a 1 gallon batch. Hit 1.059 at 85% efficiency and right at 23 IBUs, first time using Safale S-04 and its a beast- was seeing tiny bubbles 7 hours after pitching and keep adding ice to bucket its in to keep around 65F. Doesnt quite need a blowoff yet but am keeping my eye on it.

1.46 lbs 2 row
.18 lbs munich 10L
.18 lbs special B
.09 lbs flaked barley
.018 lbs chocolate malt
.2 oz Willamette 4.7%AA 45 mins
.15 oz Willamette 15mins
S-04 yeast

Cant wait to see how it turns out, first time using English ale yeast. The starter I made (using rehydrate and add sugar to see if viable when I start milling grain) smelled fruity like scuppergnongs and a bready like bread yeast. Looking back at the original recipe I dont know why I put the flaked barley on there, maybe to make up for carapils. But anyway, thanks for the recipe!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #124
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
It'll be different, but I don't think it'll be bad at all. The hops aren't really dominant in this brew anyway.
Thanks. I brewed this beer the day before Thanksgiving.

It turned out that I had some Willamette hops (I need to keep an inventory ), so I used those instead. I also toasted some two-row, and subbed that for the Victory malt. I'm kegging it (and force carbing) this week. Can't wait to try it!

Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #125
FishOn69
Recipes 

I was wondering how much water everyone uses in the partial mash for steeping and sparging? In addition, what temperature and how long should I shoot for during the mash?

This is my second partial and just want to make sure I'm using the right amount of water and temps are good to extract all the sugars!

Old 01-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #126
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOn69 View Post
I was wondering how much water everyone uses in the partial mash for steeping and sparging? In addition, what temperature and how long should I shoot for during the mash?

This is my second partial and just want to make sure I'm using the right amount of water and temps are good to extract all the sugars!
I use about 3 quarts for my mini mash on this one and shoot for 154F. I sparge at about 168F with how ever much water it takes to bring my volume up to what I can properly boil on my stove.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #127
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks for the recipe, I love Brown Ales with biscuit. I have most of the ingredients to make a small batch of this so I'm going to shoot for a 3G batch. I figured I might as well use some other items I have laying around that might go well with this.

Additions to your excellent recipe:
10% Crisp Brown
10% Smoked Malt
Black Strap Molasses

Was also going to use Special Roasted for the biscuit

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II

Old 04-16-2013, 02:22 PM   #128
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
Thanks. I brewed this beer the day before Thanksgiving.

It turned out that I had some Willamette hops (I need to keep an inventory ), so I used those instead. I also toasted some two-row, and subbed that for the Victory malt. I'm kegging it (and force carbing) this week. Can't wait to try it!
Just to bring this back up. As the quoted post said, I brewed this the day before last Thanksgiving. When I tried the beer back in February, I really didn't care for it at all. I took the keg out of my kegerator, and left it sitting in my storage room. To be honest I was planning to dump it the second I needed the keg for another batch.

Luckily I have four other kegs, and never had to use this one. I had just kicked another keg, and decided to give this one more shot. I chilled it in the kegerator and tried the beer. WOW, what a difference another two months made! So much better! Malty and very delicious....as a brown ale should be! It has a nice slight toastiness from the toasted malt. SWMBO and I love it.

It's amazing how a beer that was brewed in the Fall needed until the Spring to be just right. I'll be brewing this again for next Winter. I just need to plan on brewing it in late August/Early September, so it will be ready by then.

Have patience with this beer. You won't regret it!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #129
kingboomer
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 398

I'm digging this one up too. I'll deffinitely have to give it a shot, I LOVE brown ales!

-Kingboomer

Quick Reply