American Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1098 British Ale
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
21.2 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7- 68º
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13- 60º
I set out to make a Moose Drool clone with this. I might have come close with the exception of the hop profile. It really isn't highly hopped but the Amarillo comes right at you with plenty of flavor which balances nicely with the malt. I'm calling it an American Brown simply because it is over hopped for a traditional mild or brown. I used Marris Otter for the base malt and I'm quite pleased with the results.
I didn't hit the mark for a Moose Drool but this is definitely a keeper. Probably the best Brown I've ever made.

12-30-2007 Moose Drool Wannabe

A ProMash Brewing Session Report
--------------------------------
Brewing Date: Sunday December 30, 2007
Head Brewer: Rich Day

Recipe: Moose Drool Wannabe

Recipe Specifics
----------------
Batch Size (Gal): 6.00 Wort Size (Gal): 6.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 12.00
Anticipated OG: 1.057 Plato: 13.93
Anticipated SRM: 21.2
Anticipated IBU: 29.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Actual OG: 1.057 Plato: 14.04
Actual FG: 1.015 Plato: 3.83

Alc by Weight: 4.32 by Volume: 5.54 From Measured Gravities.
ADF: 72.7 RDF 60.8 Apparent & Real Degree of Fermentation.

Actual Mash System Efficiency: 82 %
Anticipated Points From Mash: 56.56
Actual Points From Mash: 61.33

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
87.5 10.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
8.3 1.00 lbs. Crystal 80L 1.033 80
4.2 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt America 1.029 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 7.00 19.0 60 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 5.00 4.6 30 min.
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Whole 9.00 5.4 5 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1098 British Ale

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step
Heat Type: Infusion

Grain Lbs: 12.00
Water Qts: 15.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.75 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.25

Tun Thermal Mass: 0.00
Grain Temp: 64 F

Dough In Temp: 169 Time: 0
Saccharification Rest Temp: 154 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp: 162 Time: 10
Sparge Temp: 162 Time: 30

Runnings Stopped At: 1.017 SG 4.33 Plato

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.71 - After Additional Infusions

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

I just blew the keg on this one and I've decided this is going to be a regular in my winter lineup. I love it and I've gotten positive feed back from others.

Bernie Brewer said:
Rich sent me a bottle of this about a month ago and it is excellent! I really wish he had sent more!
Thanks for the nice comment.
I wish I could send more! I filled 4 bottles for the national competition and the keg blew. Dang it!

This beer scored a 37.5 in the first round of the NHBC. I would like to brew it again and increase the hop character that the judges said was lacking.
I think my biggest problem is that I have been using hop socks. I think from now on I will dump hops straight into the kettle and come up with a screen to filter them out. I think this will increase my utilization and ultimately make my beers better.

The recipe looks good, I'll have to try it since I'm a big Moose Drool fan (though I only get to drink it when I'm in the US :( ).

As for the hops, my last boil I threw my whole hops in and then used a stainless sieve I picked up at a dollar store to scoop the majority of them out at the end. Worked like a charm.
451_sieve.jpg

Resurrecting this one from the depths. Have you changed this much from your original recipe? Looking to brew a nice brown ale to be ready around thanksgiving. Cheers.

Resurrecting this one from the depths. Have you changed this much from your original recipe? Looking to brew a nice brown ale to be ready around thanksgiving. Cheers.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but if you don't get an answer and are looking for a tried and tested hoppy American Brown you should have a look at Janet's Brown ale.´

If you do an internet search you ill find lots of info about it.
Like here for example:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=289872

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=18509

I brewed it earlier this year and loved it and it's planned in again for this weekend. Just be aware that it pushes the limit for the style with IBUs and strength but it is still very balanced. If you are shooting for something more traditional then something with less hops might be your thing.

:mug:

Don't mean to hijack this thread but if you don't get an answer and are looking for a tried and tested hoppy American Brown you should have a look at Janet's Brown ale.´

If you do an internet search you ill find lots of info about it.
Like here for example:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=289872

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=18509

I brewed it earlier this year and loved it and it's planned in again for this weekend. Just be aware that it pushes the limit for the style with IBUs and strength but it is still very balanced. If you are shooting for something more traditional then something with less hops might be your thing.

:mug:

No worries! I appreciate the suggestion. If it seems too hoppy I could just dial it back if needed. I was looking to go for more of an American Brown. Thanks! :mug:

No worries! I appreciate the suggestion. If it seems too hoppy I could just dial it back if needed. I was looking to go for more of an American Brown. Thanks! :mug:
Beardo,
Did you make this? I came across the thread last month looking for a good brown ale. I made it with a few variations (nice way to say I screwed up some things) but it came out pretty good. Been a while since I had Moose Drool, so I am not sure how it compares. However, I love Dukes Cold Nose from Bold City Brewery here in Jacksonville, and this is very close. Simply a good brown ale.

Beardo,
Did you make this? I came across the thread last month looking for a good brown ale. I made it with a few variations (nice way to say I screwed up some things) but it came out pretty good. Been a while since I had Moose Drool, so I am not sure how it compares. However, I love Dukes Cold Nose from Bold City Brewery here in Jacksonville, and this is very close. Simply a good brown ale.

Never got around to it. Tough getting in brew days with a toddler running around. Glad to hear your batch turned out good. I’ll keep this one on the wishlist. Cheers.

Back