Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #81
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
The recipe as is will get you very close...but I would probably mash higher next time. My Northern Brown (Left Nut Ale) I mashed at 160 and it has that nice fruity...sweet tone to it.
I have read pretty much all of the posts contained in this thread. It appears to be a great recipe which I would like to use as my second attempt at AG. I know you posted the original recipe, but I have seen several posts with tweaks and adjustments suggested or made by others. Any chance you can post your most recent or updated recipe?

This brew will be for the SWMBO and I want to hit it right, so your recipe apprears to be the one to use. I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks.

Salute!

Edit: I am looking to brew a 5 gallon batch and I have BeerSmith software available.
On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #82
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The pooch in the picture looks interested in your beer. Back away from the beer now poochie!

On Tap #2 - Nada

Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #83
elbajista
Recipes 

This looks awesome! Have an extract version?

Old 09-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #84
Mr_Manhands
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

I’m a newb in need of help. I have my first two batches of beer currently sitting in my fermenter (Hazzah)! Newcastle is one of my favorite beers, so one of the recipes that I used was this one. The only changes that I made were to cut the recipe in half, and leave out the roasted barley. I cut the boil time to 60 minutes and it has been fermenting at 66 degrees. I let it sit in the primary for a week, and it has been in the secondary for 4 days. My curiosity got the better of me last night, and I used a turkey baster to get a sample of the beer. I was surprised to find that it was very dark tasting, almost like dark chocolate or coffee. From the reviews that I have read, I know that the recipe is good, so I’m wondering what I did wrong. Is there anything that I could have done to cause such a flavor, or is it more likely that the store screwed up the ingredients? They ground everything up for me and had it in the same bag, except for the flaked corn, so I had no way of knowing whether or not they got it right. Also, what primer would you suggest for this batch? I’d appreciate any help you can give.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #85
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 621 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 233

If you list everything you ordered, we can look that over. If the order looks fine and the shop indeed made a mistake, then that will be harder to identify.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:27 AM   #86
Mr_Manhands
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
If you list everything you ordered, we can look that over. If the order looks fine and the shop indeed made a mistake, then that will be harder to identify.
I'm writing this directly from the list that I gave them.

6.25 lb. Pale Malt US
1 lb. Flaked Corn
.5 lb Crystal Malt 20L
.5 lb. Crystal malt 60L
.5 lb. Crystal Malt 80L
.5 lb. Cara-pils/Dextrine
.25 lb. Chocolate Malt
.5 oz. Target
.25 oz. Goldings, East Kent
Whitbread Ale (wyeast labs #1099)

Like I said, the boil was 60 minutes. I batch sparged letting the first batch rest for 1 hour and the second for 15 minutes with a target mash temp of 152. The whole process went quite smoothly, unlike my wheat ale lol. If there was a miscalculation in the ingredients, am I correct in assuming that too much chocolate malt would have that effect? Thanks for your time.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #87
Bosium
Recipes 

I personally found the chocolate to be too stong also. I used UK Pale Chocolate malt, 300SRM, and still used less than the recipe listed as I substituted some for Special B. I've cut the percentage even lower in my latest batch. My beer has a strong coffee flavour.

I'm not hugely fond of that roasted flavour, I'm not sure I can detect any of it in the original NCBA, perhaps something like carafa special would be better, to get the colour and aroma but not so much roasted taste?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #88
Mr_Manhands
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply, Bosium. I'm with you on not being a big fan of the roasted flavor. It's not that the recipe isn't good, it's just not exactly what I was going for. I may try this one again without the chocolate malt. I'm still open to suggestions on what type of sugar to use when priming it.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #89
Bosium
Recipes 

Give it a little more time in the bottle, the flavours will meld together a bit more and it will drink better. As for priming sugar, it makes next to no difference. I use whatever I have to hand, table sugar is 100% fine.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #90
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I sampled a glass of this recipe and boy am I a happy brewer. Color was fantastic and the head on the beer was thick and creamy. The body was also a surprise to my better half and I. I think it still needs some time to carb up as it was only on tap for a few days (I force carbed for 1 1/2 days at 30psi) in the fridge. The 30psi was dropped to 12 and I gave it a few more days to stabilize.

I am very happy with this beer. I plan to pick up a 6'r of New Castle and do a side by side taste and appearance comparison. I believe my brew using BM's recipe will be superior to the NCNB. My only regret and it may be nothing, is that I did not filter this beer. It is still a bit cloudy, but I can certainly live with that, given all the other exceptional qualities this brew exhibits at this time.

Thanks to BM for a great recipe.

Salute!

On Tap #2 - Nada

Quick Reply