Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 AM   #261
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I will probably give this a go sometime this fall. I'll likely go with something other than EKG.... Maybe even some cascade I pulled off the vines this year. And I'll drop the carapils. My experience is that the 1.5lb Carmel malts will give this beer plenty of head and body. Maybe just mash slightly higher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #262
Moose1231
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have one interrogation. As I understand it, flaked corn is mainly used to reduce the body of a beer and carapils is mainly used to increase it. So why are you putting both in your beer?

Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM   #263
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 593 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1231 View Post
I have one interrogation. As I understand it, flaked corn is mainly used to reduce the body of a beer and carapils is mainly used to increase it. So why are you putting both in your beer?
Flaked corn was part of the original recipe and I didn't want to change the foundation. The Cara was simply to tweak the final product to have what I thought was the appropiate mouthfeel and head retention typical of a Brown Ale...and in my opinion, slightly lacking in the commercial product.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #264
IMNOTL8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Mouthfeel

The first time I made this it was incredible! However... the second time it was just so so... The second go round I tried, unsuccessfully, to boost the ABV by adding some brown candi sugar... The mouthfeel was very thin and lacking the malty flavor I had the first time I made it. I didn't add a lot so I'm not sure if it made the difference in the taste or not. I made a 10 gallon batch that has been in the keg for about 8 months now... well some of it has been in the keg that long! I might have a couple gallons left. It tastes very good now compared to how it tasted in March.

I will definitely make this again... using the original BierMuncher recipe. I will just have to drink twice as much to increase the ABV of my blood instead!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #265
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just bottled a batch that I made in August before I had surgery on my left hand. It tasted very good and I can't wait to drink some of it. The only problem might be that there isn't enough yeast left for it to carbonate, only time will tell that.

Awesome recipe.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #266
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Been enjoying this for a while now. I fermented a little higher because my walk out basement is apparently very temperature labile....
Very close to Newcastle without a side by side I'd say mine might be a little maltier.

Thanks for a great recipe. I'll be brewing again.

TD

Old 01-18-2014, 09:25 PM   #267
drumuglyknuckles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Nuby question,
Why the flaked corn?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Home Brew mobile app

Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #268
ljkelly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made this on christmas day (no chill BIAB) and fermented for 5 weeks on primary. Fan-tastic. Came out clear and delicious. I used Maris otter as my base malt and WY1084 (it's what I had on hand and I like it for ales). Really nice maltiness, but not heavy at all as a result of the maize.

Thanks for the great recipe!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #269
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any 6 gallon all grain versions? I may have missed it

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #270
BigPicture
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 92

I brewed the 10 gallon version yesterday with my 13 gallon pot. It wasn't big enough.

1st time using Yeast SuperFood added to the boil! I got the fermenter bubbling within 12 hours! Now I've had very good luck with liquid yeast, yeast starters, and using a stir plate used for 24 hours, but I've never seen any fermentation activity so soon.

The wort looked & smelled beautiful being poured into the buckets, I am jazzed! I hope this SuperFood doesn't effect the taste in a bad way. We only used a teaspoon, but it did smell a little funky in the package. Guess I should look that up? We'll see.

Scaling recipes? Get Beersmith.................... it was the BEST $20 I ever spent on beer equipment. It's made me a better brewer simply following the directions...................... and following BM's ideas! Check in the Sponsors Showcase forum for a deal. You can typically find it on sale!

Since we brewed 10 gallons we split the wort into 2 buckets to ferment. The 1st one we're going to rack according to BM's original recipe. The 2nd one we're going to just leave in the bucket & original yeast cake for 1 month. Just a little experiment. So we're doing 2 adjustments, place & time, wish us luck!

Last edited by BigPicture; 03-03-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: P.S. I love Tricky's Avatar!
BierMuncher Likes This 

Quick Reply