Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 02:35 AM   #241
BeerTaylor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem
HELP!

Brewed 11 gallons of this recipe and for some reason it has a nutty and bitter aftertaste that almost makes it undrinkable. I have poured out the last few ounces of the last 2 pints I had! I bottled conditioned for 3 weeks @ 70F.

Mashed at 157F

IBU target of 24

I am always careful on sanitation, never had an issue on 15 batches I've done so far.

I used S04 dry yeast with a 2 Liter starter and pitched the thick yeast slurry from the starter (1/2 cup to each 5.5 gallon fermenter).

I aerated by shaking the fermenter vigorously before and after adding the yeast slurry.

I sanitize using star san and soak anything that will contact my beer in a tub of Starsan.

I really don't think contamination is to blame.

I ferment in a chest freezer using a digital temperature control and the beer temp was in the mid 60's for the entire 21 day fermentation and I didn't bottle until day 28 in primary.

I have no idea what happened or why it tastes like this. I can't really describe the taste but all I can think is that it is very "nutty" and "bitter" with an aftertaste but it is NOT sour at all.

I have 105 bottles of this stuff left and the only thing I can think to do is let it sit in the basement at 70F for another couple months and hope it becomes at least drinkable. I wish I could let an experienced brewer try a taste of this to give an opinion on what it could be.

My recipe was:
66% 2-Row pale
11% flaked corn
5% C-20
5% C-60
5% C-80
4% Pale Chocolate malt
3% Cara-Pils

Target Hops @ 60 min and EKG hops @ 15 for 24 IBU based on my calculator for boil volumes.

S-04 yeast with starter
Try throwing some of it in the refrigerator for a couple weeks and see if that helps.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #242
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Just some simple questions for a New Castle lover.

New castle is one of my favorite beers hands down. I would love to brew this. I am still a newb when it comes to brewing. I have made 2 batches from a Kit both turned out pretty good. I have a set up for 5 gallons so I guess I would just cut the receipe in half? Also when you talk about this is 2 diffrent beers that are combined I guess I am to new to understand how I would do this. One more thing and this may be part of the answer. When you say to keg it for 5 days is that the second brew? Because I unfortunatly do not have a keg set up I bottle mine. Hopefully this year is the year and I get my keg setup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #243
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt73 View Post
New castle is one of my favorite beers hands down. I would love to brew this. I am still a newb when it comes to brewing. I have made 2 batches from a Kit both turned out pretty good. I have a set up for 5 gallons so I guess I would just cut the receipe in half? Also when you talk about this is 2 diffrent beers that are combined I guess I am to new to understand how I would do this. One more thing and this may be part of the answer. When you say to keg it for 5 days is that the second brew? Because I unfortunatly do not have a keg set up I bottle mine. Hopefully this year is the year and I get my keg setup.
BM has scaled this so that the "two beers" that original Newcastle is can be made with one all grain batch. To make a 5.5 gallon recipe, simply cut the ingredients in half, but follow the same time tables. If bottling, you will need to condition for at least three weeks, the "5 days" is only for those who keg their beer.
Hope that helps!

Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #244
grv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Brewed this today, BIAB. Went with light chocolate and eliminated the roasted malt. Mashed nice and high - 156-158. Really can't wait to see how this turns out!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #245
dp2001
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone see an issue with using 6-row malt as a base for this recipe? I brew a Cream Ale quite frequently and use the 6-row to convert the adjuncts (corn). I have a 50 lb. sack of 6-row and it would be great if I use it as a base for this beer.

I just brewed this yesterday with the original recipe and ingredients. I hit all my numbers and can't wait to taste. After reading the thread, it seems like I will be needing to brew again.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM   #246
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
Here's my take on a 5 gallon batch extract recipe.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.12 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
0.41 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Target [11.00%] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 2.4 IBU

1 Pkgs Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) Yeast-Ale

I haven't made this one, so use it at your own peril, but I started with Biermuncher's recipe and converted it in beersmith. I took out the Roasted barley because it came to 0.04 lb. That's like, 4 grains
So has Anyone tried this recipe? I dont have the Set up for a BIAB and I have been wanting to make this for awhile. I'm headed to the LHBS this weekend and was going to pick this stuff up. I love Newcastle and just want to know how this turned out if anyone did use it.

Had some more questions on this. Are there any actual grain in this recipe Looks like it is all DME or LME. And if what can I sub out and use for real grain? I like the stepping process of the brewing, don't really want to just stir in the DME/LME. Of cousre I may be reading it wrong as well so any help would be great. But hey if thats what I need to do to get this brew made then alright.
Thanks guys.

Primary - Wingnutt's Somethin Pumpkin
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Apricot Double IPA
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Last edited by Wingnutt73; 03-22-2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Had some more questions on this.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #247
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I've done the NB kit and several friends thought I nailed it. It was close, but not "nailed it" by a long shot. Been looking hard at this recipe too. Botched part one of the two-part BYO clone brew by cooking my mash enzymes inadvertently (long time since brewed last and this was the first brew in over a year). Salvaged beer enough to be drinkable but unsuited to blending. Might skip the old ale component, and just brew this up. Also, not a huge fan of old ale to begin with, nor of blending..
Early in the thread (and haven't read whole thing) there was discussion about missing plum flavor. Was wondering if a hint of dark candi syrup into the primary might provide some plum character. Someone had also suggested Special B.

Edit- K now I did read the whole thread. I was wondering since not doing the old ale to get the plum like old ale contribution to flavor, that could omit the flaked corn, and make up the missing gravity with candi sugar, and sub out some of the crystal malts to compensate for color? Dunno how they calculate color of the candi sugar additions. Anyway, I think I'm going to brew the 11gal recipe as posted (it's for a 10 or 11 gal batch? I didn't catch that) very soon! Thanks!

Anyone who has brewed with special B, did they find the plum flavor by adding?

TD

Old 03-31-2013, 02:14 AM   #248
Wingnutt73
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnutt73

So has Anyone tried this recipe? I dont have the Set up for a BIAB and I have been wanting to make this for awhile. I'm headed to the LHBS this weekend and was going to pick this stuff up. I love Newcastle and just want to know how this turned out if anyone did use it.

Had some more questions on this. Are there any actual grain in this recipe Looks like it is all DME or LME. And if what can I sub out and use for real grain? I like the stepping process of the brewing, don't really want to just stir in the DME/LME. Of cousre I may be reading it wrong as well so any help would be great. But hey if thats what I need to do to get this brew made then alright.
Thanks guys.
So.... This is in the pot as we speak. I'm going to add some vanilla to it to give it a more festive taste. So far it smells great everything is working out perfect. I got the ingredients for another batch with a little different lme. Gonna brew it next weekend. Let y'all know how it turns out.

Primary - Wingnutt's Somethin Pumpkin
Secondary -Empty
Bottled- Apricot Double IPA
Kegged- Galaxy Brown Ale

Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #249
justkev52
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Good job Beermuncher!!! I will brew this one for sure. I have a neighbor that loves this stuff. I made him some Northern Nut brown in hopes that he would like it but we will see if this is closer to the Newcastle.
Same story kinda. Thanks for the recepie!!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #250
felipefranco
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I've seen some guys asking but I couldn't find the answer.
Is the flaked corn in the recipe the same as Kellog's Corn Flakes or is that another kind of flaked corn?

Quick Reply