Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #231
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvess View Post
This is the second time that I have brewed this. I had some issues this time. My mash temp was way to high. I believe it ended up being 159-160. My yeast was dead and ended up having to use safale04 instead. It has been in the primary for 2.5 weeks. The final gravity is 1.016 instead of 1.007. Is this going to be drinkable?
A 159-160 mash temp is not unusual for a lot of English ales. Your beer will simply have a maltier profile and some slight residual sweetness. Safeale-04 works just fine for this grain bill.

If you didn't have any sanitation issues, you should have a very nice brown ale on your hands.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #232
kvess
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the recipe and your response. It was great last time. I can't wait to see what the difference will be this Time!!

The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest!

Old 09-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #233
Aspenextreme
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Just had a drink or this last night after 2 weeks of fermenting, 3 weeks on gas and it is exceptional. This might be a house beer for my wife.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #234
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

BM: Just wanted to ask this question as I did not see it in the thread but didn't read every page.

What about substituting pale chocolate malt in place of the chocolate malt? I know it will lighten the color up a bit and I'm ok with it not being exactly NCBA color as long as it doesn't taste overly roasty. Thoughts?

Going to be brewing this one next! I also can't find Whitbread yeast. Going to try the Safale04 as well as some have done.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 PM   #235
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 585 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
BM: Just wanted to ask this question as I did not see it in the thread but didn't read every page.

What about substituting pale chocolate malt in place of the chocolate malt? I know it will lighten the color up a bit and I'm ok with it not being exactly NCBA color as long as it doesn't taste overly roasty. Thoughts?

Going to be brewing this one next! I also can't find Whitbread yeast. Going to try the Safale04 as well as some have done.
I actually like to sub in pale chocolate (200ish) when I can get it.
Jayhem Likes This 
Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #236
BrewPirate
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was very excited to make this brew, so I went to my LHBS to buy the grain. I ordered grain for two beers, this and a pumpkin ale. I didn't realize it until I went home, but I forgot to specify uncrushed and that I didn't want all of the grain mixed together. That's on me. But now I have a big bag of all the ingredients and I'm wondering how I can salvage this to make an accidental brown ale.

Here is what I purchased for this beer (cutting the recipe in half):

0.5 Caramel 20
0.5 Caramel 60
0.5 Caramel 80
0.5 Cara-Pils
0.05 Roasted Barley

Here is what I purchased for the pumpkin:

1.0 Caramel 60
1.0 Victory

I didn't buy the chocolate or pale for this beer because I already had it and the flaked corn was packaged separately. So basically I have an extra pound of Caramel 60, and an extra foreign pound of Victory all mixed in.

Any thoughts of what I can do to still make a decent brown? Skip the chocolate since there is already a lot of specialty? Reduce the base grain?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #237
Jayhem
Recipes 

Brewing this next! I have the following recipe. Biermuncher, any comments? Thanks!

11 gal batch

12.5 lb 2-row
2 lb flaked corn
1 lb Caramel 15
1 lb Caramel 60
1 lb Caramel 75
8 oz Carpils
12 oz PALE chocolate malt

Mash @ 157F for 60 min, batch sparge with 180F water

1.0 oz Target Hops @ 60 min
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings @ 15 min
24 ibu

OG: 1.045

Safale S-04 English Ale Yeast

Ferment @ 67F for 21 days

5.0 oz table sugar per 5.5 gallon batch prime

Bottle condition 21 days.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #238
BeerTaylor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This beer turned out...to be very good. I recommend an additional 2 weeks chilled on gas, 3 if u can manage!

Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #239
Minjin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have brewed this twice so far and it was excellent both times. What would one have to do to say increase the alcohol to 5.5 to 6% still keeping the same flavor profile.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #240
Jayhem
Recipes 

HELP!

Brewed 11 gallons of this recipe and for some reason it has a nutty and bitter aftertaste that almost makes it undrinkable. I have poured out the last few ounces of the last 2 pints I had! I bottled conditioned for 3 weeks @ 70F.

Mashed at 157F

IBU target of 24

I am always careful on sanitation, never had an issue on 15 batches I've done so far.

I used S04 dry yeast with a 2 Liter starter and pitched the thick yeast slurry from the starter (1/2 cup to each 5.5 gallon fermenter).

I aerated by shaking the fermenter vigorously before and after adding the yeast slurry.

I sanitize using star san and soak anything that will contact my beer in a tub of Starsan.

I really don't think contamination is to blame.

I ferment in a chest freezer using a digital temperature control and the beer temp was in the mid 60's for the entire 21 day fermentation and I didn't bottle until day 28 in primary.

I have no idea what happened or why it tastes like this. I can't really describe the taste but all I can think is that it is very "nutty" and "bitter" with an aftertaste but it is NOT sour at all.

I have 105 bottles of this stuff left and the only thing I can think to do is let it sit in the basement at 70F for another couple months and hope it becomes at least drinkable. I wish I could let an experienced brewer try a taste of this to give an opinion on what it could be.

My recipe was:
66% 2-Row pale
11% flaked corn
5% C-20
5% C-60
5% C-80
4% Pale Chocolate malt
3% Cara-Pils

Target Hops @ 60 min and EKG hops @ 15 for 24 IBU based on my calculator for boil volumes.

S-04 yeast with starter

Quick Reply