Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #211
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8 View Post
So I have some serious fermentation going on! Woo hoo! Had to change to a blow off tube... OG was 1.050. Looks and smells great! I can't for this one to be done!

Collected some of the Krausen to do a yeast starter sometime down the road!

Thanks for the recipe!
Brew on brotha...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #212
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Tasted it before the keg, I can already tell this is pretty damned cloned. Missed my mark and lost a few alcohol points, no big deal, I've really come to like the 4-4.5% range, so perfect. Also took your advice on gelatin in the keg, although this already looked pretty clear coming through the racking cane. Color is dead-on.

Thanks for the recipe, I can tell this is going to be a hit! That whitbread and the specialty grain choices really make it taste like the original! Cheers!

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #213
KuzinChaos
Recipes 

I'm goin to try a 5gal minus the roasted barley but i was wondering, would irish moss do the same as the gelatin?

Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #214
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuzinChaos View Post
I'm goin to try a 5gal minus the roasted barley but i was wondering, would irish moss do the same as the gelatin?
No. I mean, both clear, and I wouldn't consider a brew without Irish Moss/Whirlfloc that needs clarity, but gelatin is a final push that offers clarity beyond what even some of the best homebrew process can offer -- especially dropping out residual yeast and sugars, which irish moss cannot do.

Now if this beer is between you and your friends, who don't care if you can see through the glass to the other end, nevermind gelatin. If this is a concentrated effort to try to clone the original, I say gelatin is needed, since Newcastle Brown is a pretty good example of clarity.

If the question is which of the two to decide between, as in, for your inventory, go to Irish moss, since you'll need it for future brews. I bought a 4-pack of gelatin from the grocery store for under a buck -- that's four 5-gallon batches I can use it for. But you can't get moss from your grocier. So spend the extra buck or two on whirlfloc tabs or irish moss -- both do the same thing.

You can trust me to make the beer. You cannot trust me with what I'll do to it once it's done.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #215
reverendnathan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendnathan View Post
Tasted it before the keg, I can already tell this is pretty damned cloned. Missed my mark and lost a few alcohol points, no big deal, I've really come to like the 4-4.5% range, so perfect. Also took your advice on gelatin in the keg, although this already looked pretty clear coming through the racking cane. Color is dead-on.

Thanks for the recipe, I can tell this is going to be a hit! That whitbread and the specialty grain choices really make it taste like the original! Cheers!
UPDATE: having this out of the keg now. Something a bit off, both in the yeast contribution and the malt. Maybe a bit roasty? Color dead-on, but here's what's important: off the top of my head of which Newcastle tastes like, this is better. That's what's important. Cheers, BierMuncher! I made your Centennial Blonde last Summer, I feel the heat coming on... I'll be whooping that up again soon!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #216
kvess
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default fruity flavors ever come through?

I know this thread is kind of old. Did the fruity flavor ever come through in your brew?

Old 04-14-2012, 05:09 PM   #217
buzzbean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default 11 days in the primary

Hey BM or anyone who has brewed this. When filling my primary I took my eye off the carboy and ended up filling her up pretty high. This meant that when I added yeast it filled up to the brim and there was a bit of yeast left over. I do 3 gal batches so figure this is not a prob. Had a vigorous fermentation the first few days like normal but it is now day 11 and she is still chugging along. Should I move to the secondary or wait it out? My space is a bit cooler 64-66 and I have never used this yeast before so don't know what to expect.

TY

Old 04-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #218
kvess
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did a 10 gallon batch of this. Its been fermenting 7 days. I took a gravity reading today and it is at 1.012. I tasted it and it its great. I also used wirfloc during the boil. do you think I should still try the gelatin. It was real clear in the testing tube.

Thanks!

The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #219
kvess
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

What should the carb profile be for this beer. 2.30?

The first five days after the weekend are always the hardest!

Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 AM   #220
vonfatz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hi all,

First post here, and second all-grain brew. Just wanted to open with a quick thanks to BierMuncher and to all other posters for this very good discussion about what sounds like a very good beer

I want to try to do this with my BIAB setup, and have two questions:

First, some of the ingredients like 80L crystal malt are not available to me, and I also wanted to dial down the roastiness. I deleted the barley completely, and fudged around with some of the other ingredient proportions. I think I've nailed something that will be fairly close to BM's recipe but fit within the limitations of what ingredients I have available. I've also scaled it down to my 23L setup with an expected effeciency of around 65%. Based on these changes, can anyone see any glaring omissions or possible pitfalls with my modified recipe, included below?

Quote:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 25.82 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.041 SG
Estimated Color: 17.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 65.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.25 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.3 %
0.50 kg Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 2 10.2 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.2 %
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.1 %
0.25 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.1 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 3.1 %
30.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 7 18.6 IBUs
14.00 g Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 15.0 Hop 8 4.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg Whitbread Ale (Wyeast Labs #1099) [124.2 Yeast 9 -
Second, I am wondering what might change if I went 'full English' and subbed the 2-row for Maris Otter. Has anyone done this, or does anyone have any thoughts on how the flavours might change?

Many thanks in advance for any possible insights anyone can provide!

Quick Reply