Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #201
Penguinetti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hey Biermuncher, this looks like an AMAZING brew to have! My buddy plans on brewing recipes after a few tries with Mr. Beer... I'm gonna see if i can convince him to try this one out as his first!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #202
buzzbean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default thanks!

This looks great! My wife will love it.

Old 02-13-2012, 03:37 AM   #203
TaylorInOK
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

I brewed this last month and just bottled it yesterday. It looked spot on and tasted (even if flat) spec_insertexplicit_tacular. I may have to crack one early just to taste but its lookin good! Thank you!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #204
centex99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Is there any reason after fermentation with this not to throw it in the keg with gelatin and cool/carbonate for 10 days?
I'm looking at doing this recipe as my first AG... my second beer was your blonde ale (extract version)...

My Keezer Build

Old 02-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #205
pzack
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

gravity reading of 1.025 after a month in primary with an OG at 1.033 sound a bit strange?

Old 02-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #206
TaylorInOK
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzack View Post
gravity reading of 1.025 after a month in primary with an OG at 1.033 sound a bit strange?
Yeah... comes out to 1.05% ABV if my calc is correct... ?? How did your fermentation go? Got krausen? Bubbles in airlock?

I scaled this recipe down for a 2 gallon test batch and my OG was 1.050 with an FG of 1.015 coming to right around 4.2% ABV.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #207
IMNOTL8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Couple questions...

Going to brew this recipe this weekend and have a couple questions for BM or anyone that can help me out... Pretty new to AG and wanted to get this right! I have read through all 21 pages of this topic, but wanted to find out a couple things:

1. Since I'm going to have to ferment in two fermentorsdue due to the size, do I pitch two packs of yeast or divide one?

2. How long is the mash time and how much water per pound of grain did you use?

3. Was also confused on boil time, 60 or 90 min? It says both but says to add hops at 60min so is that @ 60 min of a 90 min boil or at beginning of boil?

THANKS!

Can't wait! -Kevin

Old 03-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #208
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 643 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMNOTL8 View Post
Going to brew this recipe this weekend and have a couple questions for BM or anyone that can help me out... Pretty new to AG and wanted to get this right! I have read through all 21 pages of this topic, but wanted to find out a couple things:

1. Since I'm going to have to ferment in two fermentorsdue due to the size, do I pitch two packs of yeast or divide one?

2. How long is the mash time and how much water per pound of grain did you use?

3. Was also confused on boil time, 60 or 90 min? It says both but says to add hops at 60min so is that @ 60 min of a 90 min boil or at beginning of boil?

THANKS!

Can't wait! -Kevin
  1. If you are using dry yeast, hydrate in a cup of warm water for several hours (covered) and pour equal amounts into each fermenter. I routinely split one packed between two five gallon fermenters. If you are using liquid, make a starter and split that.
  2. 154 degrees for 60 minutes.
  3. If you can get a good rolling boil, 60 minutes is fine. I usually opt for a bit longer (not a strict rule), just because I’m not in any hurry.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #209
IMNOTL8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

BierMuncher, Thanks for the quick reply! Looks like this topic has been going on for some time and must taste great for people to keep coming back to it!

I can't seem to find the 1099 yeast strain her in town anywhere. The guy at my local shop recommended Safale S-04 as his choice for a replacement, what are your thoughts on it?

Old 03-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #210
IMNOTL8
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So I have some serious fermentation going on! Woo hoo! Had to change to a blow off tube... OG was 1.050. Looks and smells great! I can't for this one to be done!

Collected some of the Krausen to do a yeast starter sometime down the road!

Thanks for the recipe!

Quick Reply