Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #11
billym99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed today... omitted the roasted barley and cut the IBU's to 20 as suggested by Biermuncher. Missed the higher mash temp he suggested by a few degress (I averaged somewhere around 154-155). Also used wyeast 1098 rather then 1099 since I had a pack that I ordered for another recipe that I decided not to do. Everything seemed to go well. I will definately report back when the beer is ready to be consumed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 03:57 AM   #12
Rudeboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billym99
Brewed today... omitted the roasted barley and cut the IBU's to 20 as suggested by Biermuncher. Missed the higher mash temp he suggested by a few degress (I averaged somewhere around 154-155). Also used wyeast 1098 rather then 1099 since I had a pack that I ordered for another recipe that I decided not to do. Everything seemed to go well. I will definately report back when the beer is ready to be consumed.
How did it go?
I can't find Targets either (damn this hop shortage). Beersmith sez EKG as sub but that's half the AA. Any ideas Biermuncher? Twice as much EKG's at 60 minutes or some other high AA bittering hop?

Thanks

Rudeboy

Movementarians: Would you rather have beer, or complete and utter contentment?
Homer: What kind of beer?
Kegged Ready: Dry Stout; Vienna Calling; Heffeweizen
Bottled Ready: English Barleywine; Russian Imperial Stout; Wee Heavy; London Porter; Belgium Golden Strong; Westy 12; Arrogant Bastard; Magpie Rye Ale; Leffe

Old 02-16-2008, 04:35 AM   #13
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy
How did it go?
I can't find Targets either (damn this hop shortage). Beersmith sez EKG as sub but that's half the AA. Any ideas Biermuncher? Twice as much EKG's at 60 minutes or some other high AA bittering hop?

Thanks

Rudeboy
If you can afford the hops, go with the higher amount of EKG, or some fuggles, or even Willamette. I've used Mt Hood before as a sub. It's got the right "nose" for this beer too.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #14
billym99
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy
How did it go?

Thanks

Rudeboy
My Aberdeen is bottled... i'm currently on vacation but will be putting some in the fridge to cool as soon as i get home as that will have given the beer a little over two weeks in the bottles. will post with pictures as soon as i taste!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #15
gigidogg
Recipes 

Brewed this recipe last night. Went pretty well. I too missed my mash temp by a little (154F, forgot to preheat the mash tun, oops) and omitted the roasted barley, but I added a pound of sugar to bump the OG up a little. Came in at 1.053. At 20 hours post brew it's bubbling like crazy. Smells great already.

Primary: Hard Lemonade
Secondary: none
Kegged: Boddington's clone, Chocolate porter, pale ale

Old 02-24-2008, 04:07 AM   #16
Bearcat Brewmeister
Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 7 Posts

BM,

This recipe looks really good as is - not sure I would reduce IBUs too much or mash too much higher or it may end up with more Southern characteristics. I would agree with you on maybe cutting out the RB.

I just bought ingredients to do a Southern Brown, but almost did a Northern and this would have been a good one. I'll keep it on my list.

Did the plum-like flavor/aroma ever come through in your batch? If you are open to a suggestion, a little Special B might lend a bit of that plum flavor you are looking for. I tend to think of it as more raisin-like, but some people describe it as plum-like (Palmer is one). It possibly depends on what other grains or yeast flavors it is combined with. If you add some Special B (maybe 6 to 8 oz in 10 gal), you may have to take out some of the 80L or 60L to keep the color in balance.

Just my .02

Primary:
--
Next Up: Baltic Porter, Saison
Projects: Brutus Strut-stand, Freezer Conversion (Done), HERMS (Done), Lager Fermentation Mini-fridge Extension (Done)
Drinking: Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald, Fuller's 1845, Lakefront Fixed Gear, New Glarus Moon Man, Tröegs Troegenator

Old 02-25-2008, 01:22 AM   #17
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat Brewmeister
....Did the plum-like flavor/aroma ever come through in your batch? If you are open to a suggestion, a little Special B might lend a bit of that plum flavor you are looking for. ...
Good suggestion on the Special B. I might swap out a 1/2 each of the darker crystals and replace with the Special.

thanks.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
billym99
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Alright, tried a bottle last night! Nearly three weeks in the bottle plus one week each primary/secondary.... BierMuncher hit a home run with this one! I have to believe it will only get better with more time, as well. From what I read it seems that five weeks could still be considered young.

I will do a more proper write up tonight and post, along with some pictures. I had only chilled one bottle last night and sucked it down before I could take any pics.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #19
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billym99
Alright, tried a bottle last night! Nearly three weeks in the bottle plus one week each primary/secondary.... BierMuncher hit a home run with this one! I have to believe it will only get better with more time, as well. From what I read it seems that five weeks could still be considered young.

I will do a more proper write up tonight and post, along with some pictures. I had only chilled one bottle last night and sucked it down before I could take any pics.
Glad it turned out good.

One tip for serving:

English ales like to be served a bit warmer with some carbonation knocked out. A bit warmer and less fizz will really accentuate the malt tone.

I like to hold my bottle under a hot faucet for about 30 seconds, and then give it a nice aggressive pour (right down the middle) into tht glass. Let it set for about 1-2 minutes and then enjoy.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-03-2008, 02:49 AM   #20
billym99
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Finally got some pictures! Had some camera issues... anyways, these photos make the aberdeen ale appear a bit darker then it actually is, although my brew came out a bit darker then what biermucher has pictured on the first page of this thread. mine is probably slightly darker then the real deal newcastle. taste is superb... nice, malty body. head retention is good and the glass has a nice lacing after downing a bottle. What thrilled me the most is the reception this beer got from my coworkers... i took some bottles into work on friday that were thoroughly enjoyed...

i must say i will be brewing this again very soon (like weekend after next). I bottled 51 and i'm currently down to 26 SWMBO thought my homebrewing shaninigans were a waste of time until she tried one of these... i think i have her convinced it's worth it!

NOTE*** this is also my first batch of homebrew i made and it turned out good, i'm sure some of you seasoned brewers could do a bang up job with this recipe.

Quick Reply