Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #131
paint_it_black
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey, so I brewed this up a few months ago. Really enjoyed it a lot, but it was far too malty and not really much like Newcastle at all. I ended up wayyy overshooting the OG (I think the mill at the shop might have ground the grains too fine). Do you think if I ground the grains properly, thereby hitting the target OG, and mashed at a lower temp (say 150-153), I might get something more comparable to Newcastle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #132
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerderij_Kabouter View Post
I am looking to brew a Newcastle Clone this weekend and this recipe looks good. I am a bit concerned with the amount of Cara-malts in there though. I also like the idea of adding a dash of Special B. What do you guys think of this?

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
13.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM)
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Special B
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.10 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Challenger (60 min)
1.00 oz Argentinian Cascade (60 min)

0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min)

Fermented with 1098

Leave everything else the same and mash at 152 degF. I like the dry/thin mouthfeel of Newcastle and am looking for that to quench my thirst in the upcoming hot months. Do you think this will be farther from the original or a little closer?

Thanks for the help,
Justin

EDIT: I had to tweak my recipe a bit on the fly because of availability. I didn't note the AA on my bittering hops, but I balanced the IBU's to the original recipe.

This turned out to be a good brew. Probably farther from NC that BierMuncher's Aberdeen but it was in style for a Northern Brown. In review, this beer was brilliantly clear with an initial one-finger meringue textured foam that settled nicely to a thin but persistent foam layer. Color was a burnt amber/orange that is more orange/red than a NC. Lacing was constant with occasional crusty splotches. Mouthfeel was crisp in the start and finish with a round middle. The taste was reminiscent of salted sweet bread with notes of mandarin, biscuit, and rich earthy soil. Some notes of dark cocoa were present in the aftertaste.

I was very happy with this beer, but would make a few changes if I brewed it again. Mainly I would take out the Crystal 90 and drop the Special B down to 0.25 lbs. Hops were very good.
My friend stopped by last night with a surprise... he had saved two bottles of this beer form just over two years ago.

It was still great and had mellowed over time. Much to my surprise, I actually think it was better than I remember. I think we will have to brew up another iteration this summer.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #133
InYerMouth
Recipes 

I brewed the recipe as is and won 2nd at a comp a couple weeks back. I dont see anything wrong with the original recipe.

Kegged: Bourbon Oaked OIS, Rauchbier; Vanilla Coffee OIS; S'mores Brown Ale
Primary: :(
Secondary: Liquid Sex Chocolate Mead
Bulk Age: Caramel Apple Mead; Cherry Mead
Future: Irish Red; Citra Pale Ale; Buckwheat Common

Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #134
Krrazy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Newcastle is one of my favorites -- I think this one is next on the docket. Thank you for sharing!

Old 05-02-2010, 12:34 AM   #135
bad coffee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 422 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 47

This keg is on the gas, carbing. I believe (without my notes) I brewed it as the original recipe, maybe subbing hops.

After a 2 weeks on the gas at 12#, this beer "May just be the best you've ever made" from The Lady.

I think it's in my top 5. Kinda wish I had time before the party to brew another batch. I don't think this 4 gallons will last. I had to disconnect the tap until the party!

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuljin View Post
Wtf was chasing you for an hour? Buy a gun already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm a meat hunter. PKU.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #136
ekjohns
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i know people talked about using US-04 instead of Whitbread Ale. What would be the major difference in taste between the 2? My LHBS has US-04 and some of the white labs. I could take an extra trip to another store that i am not to fond of to try and get the wyeast Whitbread Ale. Is this yeast worth the effort for the taste?

Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #137
Eluna
Recipes 

Default Awsome beer

just tried mine at 1 week cause i got a little antsy and it was Great I used Danstar Windsor and it turned out a little bit darker and was a bit roasty but hopefully with another week of aging the roastiness will mellow a bit but over all GREAT BEER

KEG
Red Mail Ale (red-tail ale Clone)5 gal

Drinking
Deluge Imperial Russian stout
Apfelwein
Solid Nut Brown Ale
Foot N' Mouth IPA
Shakmat Weiss King Weiss Bier

Old 06-03-2010, 04:48 PM   #138
sideshow_ben
Recipes 

Earlier in this thread, someone(s) suggested leaving the wurt in the primary for 3 weeks before racking it to the secondary (or bottling). Is it really a good idea to leave beer on the trub for that long?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #139
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow_ben View Post
Earlier in this thread, someone(s) suggested leaving the wurt in the primary for 3 weeks before racking it to the secondary (or bottling). Is it really a good idea to leave beer on the trub for that long?
I have made some pretty good beer leaving the beer on the trub for two months. Almost all of my beers go four weeks. Three weeks should be no problem.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 06-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #140
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjohns View Post
i know people talked about using US-04 instead of Whitbread Ale. What would be the major difference in taste between the 2? My LHBS has US-04 and some of the white labs. I could take an extra trip to another store that i am not to fond of to try and get the wyeast Whitbread Ale. Is this yeast worth the effort for the taste?
I'd just use the US-04. I bought and used the Whitbread for this recipe, and I think next time I'll just go with the dry yeast.

Quick Reply