Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Brown Ale > All-Grain - Aberdeen Brown Ale (NewCastle Clone) AG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #111
HalfPint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
Tis the season for a roaring fire and a fine pint of Brown.
I couldn't agree more. I'm just feeling the dark beers right now. I'm not too sure why considering I live in Houston, Tx, but I guess it is in the 80's. I just made 10 gallons of porter and I'm already wanting to brew more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #112
InYerMouth
Recipes 

Im brewing up this clone on Weds...(Veterans Day) I tweeked the recipe and substituted all fuggles for my hops (Since I have them, but it took my IBU's to just under 20) Cut the Barley out completely and cut the crystal 20 in half (Since thats all I have.) I am also gonna mash at 157-158 for a lil fuller body.

I cant wait to get it goin....newcastle has to be one of my favs!!

Kegged: Bourbon Oaked OIS, Rauchbier; Vanilla Coffee OIS; S'mores Brown Ale
Primary: :(
Secondary: Liquid Sex Chocolate Mead
Bulk Age: Caramel Apple Mead; Cherry Mead
Future: Irish Red; Citra Pale Ale; Buckwheat Common

Old 11-07-2009, 04:07 PM   #113
rjvanden
Recipes 

I did a quick conversion to extract in beersmith, and it told me to use table sugar as a substitute for the flaked corn. Will that have flavor implications? I'm not familiar with flaked corn as an ingredient

Old 11-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #114
dunnright00
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

So I made this with an OG of 1.048. A little over a week ago, I transferred to secondary and it was 1.020. I just checked it, 8 days later and it's still at 1.020. Shouldn't it be lower? It's been in a pretty constant 72 degree chamber.

Tastes good though! :-P

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #115
HalfPint
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
So I made this with an OG of 1.048. A little over a week ago, I transferred to secondary and it was 1.020. I just checked it, 8 days later and it's still at 1.020. Shouldn't it be lower? It's been in a pretty constant 72 degree chamber.

Tastes good though! :-P
I actually asked some questions when this happened to me as well. Mine finished at 1.014 @ about 3.5% abv. This isn't a very big beer. For a brown such as this to finish between 1.015-1.020 isn't abnormal. I must say I'm really enjoying it as a low abv beer. It's low abv, but big flavor (I mashed at 156).

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYerMouth View Post
I am also gonna mash at 157-158 for a lil fuller body.
I also mashed at around 156 or so. I brewed this with my Swmbo's bro-in-law and I decided to bottle it b/c he wanted to take some. I let it primary for two weeks and omitted the gelatin. It is wonderful! I've still got about a half of a case, but they're not going to last very long. This is some delicious stuff! It's probably going to be my house brown.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:44 PM   #116
InYerMouth
Recipes 

got mine complete with 81% efficiency and OG of 1053....bubbling away nicely. I mashed at 158 ish...had thermometer problems.....

Kegged: Bourbon Oaked OIS, Rauchbier; Vanilla Coffee OIS; S'mores Brown Ale
Primary: :(
Secondary: Liquid Sex Chocolate Mead
Bulk Age: Caramel Apple Mead; Cherry Mead
Future: Irish Red; Citra Pale Ale; Buckwheat Common

Old 11-13-2009, 04:09 AM   #117
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYerMouth View Post
got mine complete with 81% efficiency and OG of 1053....bubbling away nicely. I mashed at 158 ish...had thermometer problems.....
158 will make a nice malty beer this time of year.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 11-16-2009, 02:21 AM   #118
knappster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by knappster View Post
I'm going to try my above recipe with the exception of 1 oz of willamette hops instead of 1/2 oz of Target. I'll let you know in about 8 weeks how it turns out :P
Bottled tonight. It tasted a little roastier than I anticipated since I omitted the roasted barley, but otherwise it was yummy. I'll check on it again after 3 weeks in the bottle.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #119
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I went through all of the pages of this post pretty extensively when I was getting ready to make my brew, taking notes and all. But I don't remember seeing anything about the gelatin addition to the secondary. I've never heard of doing this before, so I'm wondering:
What kind of gelatin (just lik plain ol' Knox?), how much, what is it supposed to do, is it necessary? All of that basic and necessary questions. I'm about done with primary, so hopefully I can get a response within the next couple of days... Can anyone answer those?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:25 AM   #120
paint_it_black
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just bottled this bad boy. Our OG came in way high: 1.050. FG was 1.011, which should give us about 5.3% ABV after bottle carbing.
First time I ever tried the gelatin trick, and I gotta say, I have never made beer this clear before. Amazingly clear. Awesome.
Took a few sips from the graduated cylinder -- tasted a bit overly-malty, but I think there was some of that sweetness that was trying to come through. Hoping bottle conditioning will mellow it out and make it reasonably close to original Newcastle.

Quick Reply