Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Zach & Jack's African Amber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #101
timmah84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Brewed this yesterday as my first AG brew. My OG was 1.050 (72% efficiency according to BeerSmith, which calculated the OG at 1.052) -- hopefully the 4 pts don't make much difference It is now bubbling along like nuts. Had a mac and jack after it was all done (at dinner) and the look and smell was spot on so far. Time will tell! This will be my first kegged beer too.

Kegged: None

Last edited by timmah84; 07-01-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Added efficiency

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #102
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Another recipe for this I saw called for a 90 minute boil. How necessary is it?

Old 07-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #103
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Brewed this up yesterday and everything went well. Mash temp was a little low, but all the numbers came out! Can't wait to try this one.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:25 AM   #104
dwightr8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Exciting news! I spent some time this past weekend with a guy who was formerly a brewer for Mac & Jack's. Since he no longer works there he was more than willing to share information about M & J's. Here are some of the things I learned:

OG = 1.054
Grainbill: Pale malt, Munich, Crystal 120, and Wheat (hence the cloudiness)
Hops: Bittering - Cascade 60 mins, Aroma - Mt Hood (Last 5 Mins), Dry - Cascade

They also add something called Allfloc. Not too sure what this is or exactly what it does.

He couldn't tell me anything specific about their yeast other than it is proprietary and they harvest from their kegs to keep it going. He agreed with what I have always thought - the yeast is probably the most important ingredient. The nice thing is they don't filter so it is fairly easy to harvest yeast from a keg or growler (if you're in the Great Northwest).

Since my last batch was fairly close I can't wait to tweek my recipe and try again.

Cheers,

Dwight

Old 08-13-2012, 01:15 PM   #105
vtec4me21
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Great, thanks for sharing Dwight! I guess it's time to dust off a growler and fill'er up with some Mac & Jack amber. Then it's off to yeast harvesting / propagation.

http://crosby-baker.com/resources/beer_processing_aids/
"Kettle Coagulents
AllFloc from Alltech
Enhanced Kappa Carrageenan reduces dosage rates and improves flocculation! For addition to the boiling kettle 15-20 minutes before the end of boil. Usage approx .4 - 1.2 oz. per 10 bbl. AllFloc is prized for its consistency and high potency. Results include improved hot and cold breaks, trub compaction, improved filtration, and some chillproofing. Available in 5 Lb., and 25 KG (55 Lb) packs."

Old 08-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #106
dwightr8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One thing I forgot to mention, FG = 1.016. They check the gravity hourly once it gets under 1.020 and when it hits 16 they quickly chill it to 35F to stop the fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightr8 View Post
Exciting news! I spent some time this past weekend with a guy who was formerly a brewer for Mac & Jack's. Since he no longer works there he was more than willing to share information about M & J's. Here are some of the things I learned:

OG = 1.054

They also add something called Allfloc. Not too sure what this is or exactly what it does.

He couldn't tell me anything specific about their yeast other than it is proprietary and they harvest from their kegs to keep it going. He agreed with what I have always thought - the yeast is probably the most important ingredient. The nice thing is they don't filter so it is fairly easy to harvest yeast from a keg or growler (if you're in the Great Northwest).

Since my last batch was fairly close I can't wait to tweek my recipe and try again.

Cheers,

Dwight

Old 08-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #107
Flatspin
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was in Seattle last week and the hotel where I was staying had African Amber on tap. I'd never heard of it before, so I gave it a try. It was fantastic, what I'd describe as a classic American craft beer taste. So, naturally, I went on HBT to find a reicipe, and here it is! I'll definitely be making this one in a couple weeks. Thanks for posting your recipe!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:41 AM   #108
biggben
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightr8 View Post

OG = 1.054

Cheers,

Dwight
Combine that with what this guys said on the AHA website and you can kind of piece the puzzle together:
"I talked to a guy I know who used to work there. They definitely do not use any orange peel or zest or anything in the amber, or any of their beers for that matter. He has seen the recipe, and said that all of the clone recipes he's seen are way off (every homebrew shop in the area has a recipe). He says to use lots of crystal, but he thinks the real key is the house yeast, although he doesn't know what the background of the yeast strain is."

Tom Schmidlin

I harvested the yeast from a keg and it tried it with a dme yeast starter just to see its flavor, it was kind of bready on its own. I used it in a clone of the beer that i have and it got down to 1.011 FG. so it is great to know that they are killing the fermentation at the end at 1.016sh. I would have to say that the yeast produced similar affects as the british ale yeast from wyeast for those that cant get the strain. hope this helps i submitted this earlier in the thread but its gotten buried

Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 PM   #109
BrewPilot74
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

This sounds great. Does anyone have a pic to post?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:38 AM   #110
BuzzKillington
Recipes 

Just about ready to finish off my first 5 gal keg of this recipe. I changed a few things from the original recipe. I used 1098 instead of s-04, and did not dry hop. Overall this is an awesome brew. I had a chance to try the real M&J and my version side by side. The color is identical, but the clone version seems to be a little higher in bitterness and not quite as smooth.
I'll brew this again in a few weeks and try some wheat and back off the IBU's a bit. I will have to decide on the dry hopping...

Quick Reply