Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Zach & Jack's African Amber

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #91
Demadbeerscientist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Round 3 for this one this time 10 gal and added some 6 oz of rye cause it needed a little more of something can't wait

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2011, 03:37 AM   #92
biggben
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ok so I drink mac and jacks all the time, they have it on tap at a few places here in my town. I have adapted this recipe a little from the original and now I cant tell the difference between the original and the one that I tweaked from this recipe. I changed the yeast for starters to wyeast 1968 london esb. The second thing I did is I reduced the crystal from crystal 80L to 55L. These are some changes that I made due to the sweetness I encountered from the yeast and caramel flavors that were over powering. but I tell you its freaking spot on! thought I would share it.

happy drinking

Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM   #93
Christer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Glad to hear it, brewed up my first all grain this last weekend and subbed 60... Hope it turns out close, I miss my mac and jacks out east.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #94
kshuler
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just pitched a 2 liter starter of 1098 on this. Very smooth brew day today, thankfully. I had a little bit too much efficiency- 1.056 OG, close enough for government work. I want to the LHBS last night when getting ready and they didn't have any Centennial, so I subbed Cascade for that as well. Think this will make a big difference?

For those of you who have been tweaking the recipe on every batch and can actually compare this with the real thing... anyone care to post the recipe that you felt was the closest?

You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

-------------------------------------------
http://www.bokehtests.com
http://web.mac.com/kshuler/Site/Welcome.html

Old 12-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #95
bmock79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

accidentally bought wyeast 1028 instead of 1098, didn't realize that I did it till the starter was sitting on the stirplate. anyone have any thoughts on what this will do?

thanks!!
cheers!!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:08 AM   #96
jjbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have brewed this beer at least 15 times and it has been tweaked alot but still comes out good. I went to the LHBS and all he had was 1028 so I will tweak it one more time on FRI. LHBS guy said it was close to the same just Attenuates a bit Higher and does impart as much Fruit flavor. I will compare with past brews and let you Know. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #97
DEWSBREW
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Made this one and its now bubbling away : )
I did change tthe crystal to 55l though.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #98
bmock79
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just bottled mine yesterday..

og was 1.054
fg is 1.012

the wyeast 1028 got 76.9 attenuation.
the sample I took was very good. perfect balance of sweetness with the cascade hops
gonna be a good one!!!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #99
swerner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Finally put the keg in the kegerator and the 1st taste is amazing. I've never had the real deal but this beer is awesome. All Grain brewing is the best. I am so glad I switched from extract.Thanks OhioDad for the Recipe.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #100
biggben
Recipes 

"I talked to a guy I know who used to work there. They definitely do not use any orange peel or zest or anything in the amber, or any of their beers for that matter. He has seen the recipe, and said that all of the clone recipes he's seen are way off (every homebrew shop in the area has a recipe). He says to use lots of crystal, but he thinks the real key is the house yeast, although he doesn't know what the background of the yeast strain is.

Of course the goal is to clone the flavor, so if you think using orange peel gets you closer, have at it."
Tom Schmidlin

this was posted on the AHA forums. On another note i also got ahold of the yeast from the bottom of a keg of mac and jack and it used it to make a batch. The yeast is really bready and attenuates to about 1.012. I am going to assume that it is a British strain. thought i would share the info.

Quick Reply