Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - Wild Dog Days of Summer Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #41
bizarrojosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I brewed this today as my last Summer Ale for this season. I mixed up the hops with Cascade and added about .5oz of lime zest instead of orange since I really like lime. I'm sure this is going to be great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #42
Brew-Dog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berlbrew View Post
Thanks, Bob. I actually combined this with a similar recipe and brewed it back in March. It's in the bottle for 2 weeks now and I cracked the first one open 2 days ago, it was FANTASTIC.

The changes I made were:

3 lbs Light DME, 3.3lbs Wheat DME, late addition
Full Boil
Zest from 2 lemons
and WLP 008 instead of 001

FG is 1.015 like you expected. I LOVE this beer. I can't wait to drink it out in the hot sun. I can honestly say this my frist brew that I'm completely satisfied with. Thanks for recipe!
I bottled this version of the recipe today and the flavour and aroma of the sample I took were awesome. Can't wait for it to carb!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 AM   #43
Brew-Dog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Dog View Post
I bottled this version of the recipe today and the flavour and aroma of the sample I took were awesome. Can't wait for it to carb!
This beer turned out great. Everyone loves it. I used zest from 2 navel oranges, 1 tangelo and 1 lemon. The orange aroma at bottling time was very strong, but died down to the perfect level after bottle conditioning.

I'm thinking of brewing this again next week but incorporating grapefruit zest.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #44
Ballardinho
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

This sounds like the perfect recipe for a summer ale. This will be my second batch so still a noob. A couple questions...

Why do you steep same bag of grains in two different batches if they will be combined? Getting most of the flavor/color out?

I only have a 5 gallon pot, so what would the differences be?

Thanks! Would love to try this one.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:13 PM   #45
amatomation
Recipes 

Just brewed this (a la Berlbrew) with the Wheat addition, orange, and lemon zest. Full boil and steeped the crystal 20 in one shot for 40 min and raised temp, no separate pot. No WLP yeast at my LHBS so I used Wyeast 1450 following an 800 mL starter. Tried to keep it around 70 degrees with the fermenter sitting in a water bath, but its getting hot down in Virginia (even in my basement!). Corrected OG 1.053. Can't wait!

Old 06-27-2014, 03:16 AM   #46
amatomation
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molnar20 View Post
Ok here my variation on the recipe. Using I want to use .5 of Citra as the bittering hop, keep the amarillo gold. And then dry hop with the other .5 of citra. Also thinking about using zest of one orange and one lemon.

I only have one 4 gal pot so I was going to do everything in a three gallon boil then mix it all together in the fermentor. Can anyone see any problems with this method? Suggestions? Comments?

Edit: of course I was going to the late extract addition.

Hey molnar, do you remember how this turned out with the extra citra dry-hop?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 08-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #47
fognl
Recipes 

Ressurecting this thread, I hope no one minds.

I'm fairly new to brewing, only done a few "beer kits", and they have seemed to turn out well. But, I want to branch out a bit now, and this recipe really jumped out at me. I have a few questions if people don't mind, i'm hoping to start this weekend.

1. I see in the OP that he says to add "70% DME late addition". What does this mean exactly? When I get the 4.5g to a boil, I remove from heat and stir in only 30% DME? And then at the end of the boil I add in the other 70%? Is that when I turn off the heat, or with like 10 minutes left?

2. The only thing I have available to me at this time is a 20qt pot for my boil. So boiling 4.5-5 gallons seems like I'd be cutting it close. Is it okay to do it at 4, and add in water when it goes into the fermenter?

3. Speaking of fermenter, what's the best way to transfer it? I've seen videos where people just dump it in from the pot, or should I siphon? I just made a cheap wort chiller, so it will be cooled before it goes in.

4. Finally, I noticed someone else asking this question but I didn't see an answer. Do you use all the yeast? I plan on doing a yeast starter the night before as I've read that's best for liquid yeast (I've only ever done rehydration of dry yeast).

Sorry for all the questions, like I said, I'm new to this and still learning. Thanks in advance of any help.

Quick Reply