All Grain Yeast:
Dry 1056 Yeast Starter:
nope Batch Size (Gallons):
5.5 Original Gravity:
1.055 Final Gravity:
40 Boiling Time (Minutes):
5 Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
10 days @ 70*F Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
3 weeks @ 70*F Tasting Notes:
new recipe, still tweaking
Notes are at the bottom for an extract version
- 10.00 lb 2-Ro
- 0.50 lb CaraPils
- 0.50 lb Crystal 20L
- 0.25 lb Crystal 10L
- 1.00 oz Black Patent (just for color)
- 0.75 oz Amarillo @ 60 minutes
- 1.00 oz Cascade @ 20 minutes
- 1.00 oz Cascade @ 5 minutes
- 60 minute mash @ 152*F w/ 3.5 gallons of water
- mash-out @ 200*F w/ 1.5 gallons of water
- batch sparge @ 170*F w/ 3.25 gallons of water
- Dried 1056 or equivalent is fine for this, no started necessary
Boil for 90 minutes, cool to below 80*F rapidly, transfer into fermenter, shake it like mad to aerate, and pitch yeast.
I end up with 5.5 gallons of cooled wort in the kettle at roughly 1.055OG. Only 5 gallons makes it into the fermenter due to hop absorption and kettle deadspace.
Ferment at 72*F in primary until done, rack to secondary for 2 or 3 weeks, transfer to keg and force carbonate at about 12psi.Extract Version
- Replace the 10lbs of 2-row with 6.5lbs of light DME.
- Steep the other grains for 45 minutes in 150*F water, then rinse into kettle before bringing to a boil and adding DME.
- Yeast and fermentation schedule are the same.