Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Partial - Unicorn Tears - Lavender/Vanilla Blonde Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
TTB-J
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Partial - Unicorn Tears - Lavender/Vanilla Blonde Ale

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: WLP051 - Cali V
Yeast Starter: 1L
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.0
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 23.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 (68)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 (65)
Tasting Notes: Floral aroma; sweet and fruity flavor; slightly spicy and dry finish

I've wanted to involve lavender in my brewing since the outset, so I crafted a recipe for a blonde ale that would be light enough that the lavender would shine, but tasty enough that if the lavender didn't add much I would still want to drink it. Luckily, I found a great balance, so I thought I would share this recipe for a great spring or summer ale.

You don't have to transfer to a secondary if you don't want to, but you'll use the second 10 days of fermentation to infuse the beer with the lavender scent. I used 1 oz. of dried Angustifolia lavender (it's culinary lavender, so it's lower in camphor than the aromatic varieties) and just dumped right on top of the beer like a dry hop. That amount resulted in a gentle floral aroma - if you want something more dramatic, add another .5 - 1 oz.

I prefer a hoppy beer, so I added my last addition of Crystal hops late enough that I would get some of their flavor. The aroma of the hops will clash with the lavender a bit, but leave it in the bottle for 3 weeks and cold condition for a week and the hops will settle nicely into the background.

One last suggestion: I primed this with Vanilla Sugar to add just a touch more vanilla flavor, but it is still quite subtle.

Fermentables

3 lbs. Light DME
1.5 lbs. Two Rwo
0.5 lb. Crystal 10
0.5 lb. Wheat
6 oz. Vanilla Sugar (add at 10 min. hop addition)

Hops

0.75 oz. Crystal @ 60
0.5 oz. Crystal @ 30
0.75 oz. Crystal @ 10

Misc.

Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10
1 oz. cleaned, dried Angustifolia lavender (add after fermenation complete, let sit for 10 days)

Yeast

WLP051 - California Ale V - this highly flocculant strain is good for getting a nice, clear beer with a slightly sweet and fruity finish.

Cheers!

photo.jpg  

Last edited by TTB-J; 07-28-2011 at 01:54 AM. Reason: One more thing...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 293 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I had to look just because the name made me laugh a bit...was expecting Harry Potter or something. Anyway, looks tasty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply