American Brown Ale Tap Room American Brown Ale (45/50 Gold Medal)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1318
Yeast Starter
Yes - 750 ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Very balanced, malty brown ale. Nearly perfect to style
This beer scored a 45/50 at the 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition and won the gold medal for the Category 10.

9 lbs 2-row (drop to 8lbs if your efficiency is greater than ~70-75%)
1.5 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb chocolate malt

Mash @ 155*F for 60 minutes

Hop Schedule

1 oz. EKG @ 60
1 oz. Liberty @ 30
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15
1 cup brown sugar @ 5
1.5 oz. Willamette @ 5

Wyeast 1318 with 750 mL starter

:mug:

That's what I went with. You should really try BMW sometime if you haven't. I don't know who you usually use, but I'm sure you're not too loyal to give someone else a shot :p

I'm going to try this tomorrow, what hops would you suggest to substitute EKG & Liberty?

I have:

Nugget
Willamette
Mt Hood
Chinook
Cascade
Warrior
Columbus
Hersbrucker
Bravo
Glacier

Thanks

How close would you say this recipe is to Moose Drool? Drop the brown sugar? Need to add anything?

Here's a Moose Drool clone fomr brew365.com...

Grain Bill
9 lbs. - 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (60L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (20L)
1/2 lb. - CaraPils Malt
1/2 lb. - Flaked Oats
1/3 lb. - Chocolate Malt
1/8 lb. - Black Patent Malt

Hop Schedule (19 IBU)
1 oz - East Kent Goldings (First Wort Hop)
1 oz - Liberty (30 min.)
1 oz - Willamette (5 min.)
.75 oz - Liberty (0 min. - flameout)

Yeast
White Labs English Ale Yeast (WLP002) - 1800 ML Starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 154° 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Boil for 60 minutes
Cool and ferment at 66° to 68°

AZ_IPA said:
This beer scored a 45/50 at the 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition and won the gold medal for the Category 10.

9 lbs 2-row
1.5 lb Munich
1 lb Crystal 60L
0.5 lb chocolate malt

Mash @ 155*F for 60 minutes

Hop Schedule

1 oz. EKG @ 60
1 oz. Liberty @ 30
1 tsp. Irish Moss @ 15
1 cup brown sugar @ 5
1.5 oz. Willamette @ 5

Wyeast 1318 with 750 mL starter

:mug:

Is this for a 5 gallon batch ?

AZ IPA - Great looking recipe, I am going to brew something very similar to this tomorrow. What kind of chocolate did you use? I am going to use the US Choc @ 300L and wanted to know if .5# would be too much. Thanks.

That should work...

The stuff I use is ~340-450L...

Also, if you're efficiency is higher than ~70-75%, consider dropping the 2-row to 8lbs. The last time I made this I ended up with an OG of over 1.060 which is getting a little out of style...

Great, I want the chocolate to come through and didn't want to decrease it at all. I've been hitting 73-74% the last few brews so I should be ok. Looking forward to this one, thanks for posting.

Nice! Thinking on modifying this a bit with some brown sugar and caramel in the boil? As a nice winter warmer style. Thoughts?

I'm looking to do a brown ale and I like the way this recipe looks. I'm trying to scale it down to a ~3 gal batch.

However, I'm finding I'm calculating a different predicted OG than you state using your 5 gal recipe and grain bill. At 70% eff, and a 5 gal batch size, I'm getting an OG of 1.064, not 1.054. I'm new to this so am I doing something incorrectly?

Skiffy said:
I'm looking to do a brown ale and I like the way this recipe looks. I'm trying to scale it down to a ~3 gal batch.

However, I'm finding I'm calculating a different predicted OG than you state using your 5 gal recipe and grain bill. At 70% eff, and a 5 gal batch size, I'm getting an OG of 1.064, not 1.054. I'm new to this so am I doing something incorrectly?

Nope, I'd bet the recipe is entered into the calculator at 5.5 or 6 gallons to account for trub or transferring loss. Most people do this so your end product is 5 gallons.

If anyone that brewed this beer still reads this thread, should it have a sweetish flavor in the fermenter? I brewed about 1.5 weeks ago and took a gravity reading tonight. I unfortunately forgot to take an OG reading, so had to guesstimate with my refractometer. If my guesses were right, the beer is currently sitting between 1.014-1.018. If I'm wrong, then it is closer to 1.020. Either way, it tasted delicious, but had a sweet chocolate flavor, which make me worry about a stuck fermentation. I suspect this is a RDWHAHB situation, but just wanted to check with those who have done this one before. How would you describe the final flavor? Thanks for any thoughts.

If anyone that brewed this beer still reads this thread, should it have a sweetish flavor in the fermenter? I brewed about 1.5 weeks ago and took a gravity reading tonight. I unfortunately forgot to take an OG reading, so had to guesstimate with my refractometer. If my guesses were right, the beer is currently sitting between 1.014-1.018. If I'm wrong, then it is closer to 1.020. Either way, it tasted delicious, but had a sweet chocolate flavor, which make me worry about a stuck fermentation. I suspect this is a RDWHAHB situation, but just wanted to check with those who have done this one before. How would you describe the final flavor? Thanks for any thoughts.

How did the final product turn out? Might brew this soon :mug:

It turned out great. I intend to make this again, because I was trying a new process for the brew and didn't hit my numbers the way I intended. Even with my flub ups, though, it is a really tasty beer. Highly recommended.

Back