Sweet Water 420 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Pale Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Bottle Conditioned
Tasting Notes
Best if let get cold for 2 days in fridge.........
Sweet Water 420 Clone

Light Malt Extract 7.8 lb

Steeping Grains:
1) Light Munich
2) Vienna
3) Cara Aroma

Hops:

Target 2oz - Bittering Hop
Cascade 1oz - Flavor Hop
Cascade 1oz - Aroma Hop

Brewing:

Heat Up 4 Gallons of water to about 155 to 160 then add steeping grains in bag to water. Works best to they the grain bag off on the pot handle so they stay middle ways in water. Steep time = 30 minutes. Remove from heat and save grain for animals or something don't waste it. Take a sniff cause its smells awesome. Add in extract & mix well as you go. Once mixed place back on heat and bring to boil. Once you have rolling boil begin timer on 60 minute boil and as bittering hop in hop bag and let it dance in the boil. With 15 minutes left add flavor hop in hop bag and at 7 to 5 minutes left add the aroma hop in hop bag.

Cool Down & Ferment:

While waiting for wort to cool pull yeast out of fridge. Yeast should be out of fridge at least 1 hr prior to pitching. Cool Down to at least 70 degrees. Pour Wort into primary ensuring to let it splash good. It will foam up a lot. Next stir until nice whirlpool action. Pitch dry yeast by sprinkling over top of the whirlpooling wort. Pop on top with airlock and let her go. Should have bubbles in airlock with in 5 to 8 hours.

Fermentation Temp -> 62 to 65 degrees. Nothing over 68. 28 days or until SG readings are stable for 3 days. (20 days in primary and 8 in secondary)

Bottle & Conditioning: Bottle as normal 5 oz of corn sugar with 3/4 cup of water boiled for 5 minutes. Put into bottling bucket and auto syphon wort on top.

Let condition in bottle for 1 week. Place one in fridge and give her a taste. Should have carbonation but might be still little green and bit on low carbonation side. If so let her sit another week and repeat process. If after second week you still think she could use some more conditioning repeat process again. After 3 weeks you should be saying damn this might be better than the real thing.

WL Cali will work for yeast too if you like.

Jay

Not sure how to change the type to extract but this is extract version. I do not have AG.

So I drank a little HB last night and forgot to upload that information. I teach tonight so it will be tomorrow evening. Sorry

Howdy,
I'll start off with an apology as I am very new to this, but very eager to learn.

I've always wanted to get started in HB'ing and finally got my first 'kit' for Xmas. I'm going to run through the motions with the canned flavors/ingredients that came with the kit (just to get the process and technique down), but already have my sights set on a 420 clone recepie! I've always had a 1/2 barrel of 420 in the kegerator (live in Georgia), and want to give this recepie a shot.

This is what I have in my arsenal:
6.5 gallon fermenter with lid
6.5 gallon bottling bucket with spigot
3 piece airlock
One-step sanitizer
Siphon Unit (Racking Cane, 4 ft. Hose & Springless Bottle Filler)
Crystal Thermometer
Bucket Clip
Quality Bottle Capper
Triple Scale Hydrometer
Bottle Brush
"Home Beer Making" Book
21" Spoon
Fermtech Auto-Siphon
5 Gallon stainless steel pot
Bottles

As I am still doing my homework though, I see most everything posted except for the follow-up on the steeping grains quantities? As I prepare, it also looks like I could use a secondary (any suggestions?). Do you use gelatin in your secondary, or just the process to clear before bottling?

I've been reading up on the info from Mutilated1's 'Coldwater' post: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/coldwater-420-special-pale-ale-48353/ which is what I tracked back to here.
Thanks so much in advance!

and I'll post a AG version as well.
For an all-grain 420 clone, you should check out Maris Otter pale ale malt. There's no equivalent in extract, but it's makes up pretty much the entire grain bill for 420. I just did a smash brew with just maris otter and amarillo hops and it tastes spot on. Give it a try when you get to trying out all-grain.

I have done a 420 Partial mash/extract recipe a couple of times.

1 lb DME
7 lbs LME
1 lb Munich
1 lb 40 Crystal

1 oz Centennial @ 60 min
1 oz Cascade @ 30 min
1 oz Cascade @ 5 min

- Steep specialty grains for 30-45 min @ 155-160
- Add dry malt extract a the start of the boil
- Add Liquid malt with 10 min left in the boil. (Turn off heat when adding)

I would use APA yeast instead of Nottingham or Sweetwater Yeast if you can harvest some. I actually have cultured some Sweetwater yeast from a Sweetwater IPA. :p

14 days in primary
7-10 days in secondary

Optional dry hop secondary with 1 oz of cascade

Back