Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #81
ricardo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukas View Post
I almost never secondary anymore. I dry hop this, and most of my hoppy beers in the keg with a nylon hop bag. The hop bag stays in there from the time I seal up the keg after racking, until the keg kicks, though I rarely have a keg of this last longer than a month.
Hi Jukas,

Can i ask if you add the hops before you chill in the keg? The reason i ask is that the Pliny clone Vinnie gave out has the hops sitting at 70 fahrenheit for 10 days before chilling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 12:20 AM   #82
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
Hi Jukas,

Can i ask if you add the hops before you chill in the keg? The reason i ask is that the Pliny clone Vinnie gave out has the hops sitting at 70 fahrenheit for 10 days before chilling
So I'm super lazy (probably why I don't do lagers). I mean super ultra mega lazy. What I've was doing up until recently is when it's time to rack the beer to the keg, I fill a nylon hop bag with the dry hops, put them in the keg and then flush it with co2. I would then fill the keg and immediately put it in my kegerator where I'd let it sit on gas for 14 days to carb up.

Since getting a conical however I've been reviewing and making changes to my process and I've been dry hopping in the conical (but at sub 50F temps) then racking to keg.

An interesting experiment next time I brew this would be to make a 11 gallon batch and ferment under pressure until complete. Then split it in half, with 5 gal into a keg with hops in the keg as I normally do and straight into the kegerator. The other half add the hops directly to the conical and re-pressurize. Give them both equal time on hops (say 5 days) then rack the conical to a keg, throw it in the kegerator and let them both sit for 48hrs then tap both and compare pints.

I'm guessing any difference would be pretty subtle though it would still be a fun experiment to try out.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:29 AM   #83
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
So I'm super lazy (probably why I don't do lagers). I mean super ultra mega lazy. What I've was doing up until recently is when it's time to rack the beer to the keg, I fill a nylon hop bag with the dry hops, put them in the keg and then flush it with co2. I would then fill the keg and immediately put it in my kegerator where I'd let it sit on gas for 14 days to carb up.

Since getting a conical however I've been reviewing and making changes to my process and I've been dry hopping in the conical (but at sub 50F temps) then racking to keg.

An interesting experiment next time I brew this would be to make a 11 gallon batch and ferment under pressure until complete. Then split it in half, with 5 gal into a keg with hops in the keg as I normally do and straight into the kegerator. The other half add the hops directly to the conical and re-pressurize. Give them both equal time on hops (say 5 days) then rack the conical to a keg, throw it in the kegerator and let them both sit for 48hrs then tap both and compare pints.

I'm guessing any difference would be pretty subtle though it would still be a fun experiment to try out.
Temperature makes a much larger difference than carbonation level. Lower temperatures greatly extend the period required to reach the same amount of flavor.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #84
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Temperature makes a much larger difference than carbonation level. Lower temperatures greatly extend the period required to reach the same amount of flavor.
You could easily change the experiment to accomodate that. Rack to keg and stick in kegerator. On the same day Dry hop the remaining in the conical for 5-7 days, then rack to keg and place in kegerator. At 14 days total tap both and compare.

That should give sufficient time for the colder temps to extract oils, while allowing typical dry hop time at 68-70F. Obviously the results would be highly subjective as the metric is simply taste both.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 AM   #85
ricardo
Recipes 

[QUOTE=Jukas;5537277]I don't add any lactic acid or acid malt when I brew this. I have the same source water as Russian River, so the only additions I make are gypsum and campden tablets to deal with the chloramine.
QUOTE]

Hi, can I ask how much gypsum you add per gallon? I made this but I don't believe I added enough as there is no hop zing
at all

Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 AM   #86
ricardo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
I've had mixed results dry hopping at keg serving temperatures where some of the beers have taken on a vegetal flavour

Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM   #87
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
Quote:
I don't add any lactic acid or acid malt when I brew this. I have the same source water as Russian River, so the only additions I make are gypsum and campden tablets to deal with the chloramine.
Hi, can I ask how much gypsum you add per gallon? I made this but I don't believe I added enough as there is no hop zing
at all
Unfortunately I don't have the exact amount in my last brew notes. I typically add about 1 tsp during the boil for a 6g batch of IPA's so it was probably right there, or just a little under.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #88
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Thanks for the recipe, turned out great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #89
crusader1612
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Thanks for the recipe, turned out great.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app
lo0oking good mate. mines drinking well at themoment, used carahell in place of the crystal. good sweetness and head retention. the additional 30g of mosaic at 10 mins has given this an extra little complexity.
a definite re-brew, although no simcoe left in New Zealand until we treceive the harvest. sio I'll have to make do with citra, with the small amount of simcoe I have left (20g).
I also used standard pale malt and maris otter mix in the proportions from the original recipe.
cheers guys.

Check out my Crusade for Better Beer out at: http://www.beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/

Old 01-11-2014, 01:13 AM   #90
HopheadNJ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tasty beer, will def be brewing to recipe again. Tomorrow i'm re brewing with all Amarillo. Bumping up 30 min hop additions and will give mangrove jack m44 a shot since i don't have a starter.

Quick Reply