Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #41
Jukas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishdoc View Post
So when you say dry hop 2 oz Simcoe 10 days, that means after the 10 day fermentation not dry hop for 10 days. I got it. Thanks
I've edited the original post to break dry hop into it's own section to remove any confusion.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #42
dishdoc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made this today and hit 1.057 OG. I gave it a 90 sec shot of O2 and a 1.5L starter of WL090 (because that's what I had). I'll use your recommended dry hop schedule in a secondary before crashing and kegging. Sample color was same as your picture. Can't wait! Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #43
bguzz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I made this last week and was bummed because I relied on Brewmasterswarehouse crush...normally I crush my own, but accidentally left the 'crush' option on my order. oh well...I won't do that again. My efficiency sucked. So I came up short on my OG and added 1.5lbs of light DME to get my OG to 1.053. I'm figuring that may mess up my FG, but we'll see. I pitched 1 packet of rehydrated US05 and did 30 seconds of pure O2 (even though I know you don't need to with dry yeast). Do you think the 1.5lbs of DME will mess this up? I know it will still be good beer, but the whole pilsners/MO balance?

Old 09-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bguzz View Post
I made this last week and was bummed because I relied on Brewmasterswarehouse crush...normally I crush my own, but accidentally left the 'crush' option on my order. oh well...I won't do that again. My efficiency sucked. So I came up short on my OG and added 1.5lbs of light DME to get my OG to 1.053. I'm figuring that may mess up my FG, but we'll see. I pitched 1 packet of rehydrated US05 and did 30 seconds of pure O2 (even though I know you don't need to with dry yeast). Do you think the 1.5lbs of DME will mess this up? I know it will still be good beer, but the whole pilsners/MO balance?
I don't do much with extract, so assuming my napkin math is correct, you raised it 11 gravity points from 1.042 to 1.053? I think you may end up a bit darker on the SRM scale and the flavor profile will be a bit different but it will definitely still be beer and tasty beer at that.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:10 PM   #45
GrowlerMonkey
Recipes 

Do you use any phosphoric or lactic acid in the mash? I'm getting a pretty high PH on the bru'n water spreadsheet (around 5.6 at room temp) unless I add some acid. Just trying to get in the ballpark before I dump everything in, I know I can always adjust after the fact.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #46
kosmokramer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I tried this in a flight with the younger and elder about six months ago and it was my favorite. Can't wait to give this recipe a try

Old 09-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #47
Jukas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowlerMonkey View Post
Do you use any phosphoric or lactic acid in the mash? I'm getting a pretty high PH on the bru'n water spreadsheet (around 5.6 at room temp) unless I add some acid. Just trying to get in the ballpark before I dump everything in, I know I can always adjust after the fact.
I don't add any lactic acid or acid malt when I brew this. I have the same source water as Russian River, so the only additions I make are gypsum and campden tablets to deal with the chloramine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
I tried this in a flight with the younger and elder about six months ago and it was my favorite. Can't wait to give this recipe a try
It's one of my favorites too, and invariably what I order first when I'm at the brewpub.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #48
tmm0f5
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Has anyone tried this exact recipe with Mosaic? I have a bunch of mosaic around and understand it is similar in some respects to Simcoe. Will probably brew it next week, but just wanted some feedback.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #49
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowlerMonkey View Post
Depending on your input water this recipe should not require any acid additions, there is a relatively high percentage of crystal to bring it down.

5.5-5.6 room temp PH is what I typically shoot for, as it will drop down to the 5.3-5.4 range at mash temps.

That is the only thing I dislike about that spreadsheet that 5.3-5.4 room temp PH is "green". Somewhat misleading IMO

Old 10-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #50
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm0f5 View Post
Has anyone tried this exact recipe with Mosaic? I have a bunch of mosaic around and understand it is similar in some respects to Simcoe. Will probably brew it next week, but just wanted some feedback.
This malt bill has become my single hop maltbill. Its' simple, and really lets the hop shine through, but there is still some body and maltiness in the finish.

Im sure it would be great with mosaic.

So far Ive done it with Simcoe, Centennial, and Kohatu is dry hopping now.

I anticipate many more single hop versions of this as well.

Thanks for the legwork with this recipe OP.

Quick Reply