Permo Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP029
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
35 days at 66 degrees
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Tasting Notes
Super dry, lightly aromatic citrus hops and a beatifull light copper color.
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 86.88 %
1.13 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 9.82 %
0.38 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.30 %
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (20 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (10 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.5 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

After a five week primary fermentation and 1 week carbonating in the bottle these beers were ready. Wow, totally not what I was expecting. Super head retention, crystal clear copper color, light citrus aroma but a major "german" aroma from the WLP029. The hops are very subdued, and you have to concentrate to find them. This is a very dry beer, but has enought malt/caramel backbone to just make you want to drink more. Very well balanced, but just a little on the bitter side of the coin. It just has this flavor that you can't get from American yeast...the WLP029 just gives it that distinctive "green bottlish" taste.

If I was to describe how this beer tastes in terms of style...it would be a hybrid.

American Altbier

Easily a rebrew beer....but next time I think I would dry hop with cascade or centennial...and I would sub magnum for the chinook bittering....

I think this yeast strain is a gem, and my brewing experience indicates that it could easily be subbed for lager yeast with VERY impressive results. I think some "Permtoberfest" may be in order. It attenuates, it's clean and if you give it time, if flocs clear.

Back