Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - "Old Bog Road" Brown Ale (Pm or Extract w/grain)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default Multiple - "Old Bog Road" Brown Ale

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: Safale US-05
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 33
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 20 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 day @ 66

Note, this can be done either as a Partial Mash or an extract with special grains, as the vistory can be either mashed or steeped.

For partial mashes, I use an unmodified cooler with a wire folding steamer in the bottom and a large grainbag affixed with a rubber band. The steamer lifts the grainbag above the level of the spigot and helps prevent stuck sparges.

Basic Info (What the recipe should be, not what I got when I made it the first time (Numbers according to beercalculus.)

O.G. 1.072 (1.064 to 1.075)
F.G. 1.019 (1.017 to 1.021)
25? SRM (Brown to Dark Brown)
35.2 IBU
7.1% A.B.V.

Extract w/grains.
6# Light DME
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
1oz Cascade 6.3% AAU (@60)
.25oz Galena 13.4% AAU (@60) (Can use warrior, nugget or any high AA substitute depending on availability)
.5oz Fuggles 4% AAU (@20)
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Partial Mash in a 2 gallon cooler (4.25lbs. grains)
5lbs, 6oz Light DME
1lb 2-row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
.25oz Galena 13.4% AAU (@60) (Can use warrior, nugget or any high AA substitute depending on availability)
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Partial Mash in a 3 gallon cooler (6lbs. grains)
4.25lbs Light DME
2.75lbs 2-row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Partial Mash in a 5 gallon cooler

4lbs 2-row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
Add;
3lbs Light DME
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

Mash for 90 minutes @ 155 degrees (Heated the water to 170 and added to 69 degree grain) with 1.25 quarts of water/pound of grain. Batch sparge with 2 gallons. Add DME as you normally would.

All Grain Version
9lbs, 6oz 2-Row
1lb Victory
1lb Special Roast
1lb Crystal 60L
.5lb Carapils/dextrine
.25 Chocolate
.5oz Fuggles 4%AAU (@5)

1 tsp Irish Moss at 15

You could use any clean ale yeast for this, but you'll get a crisper character with Irish Ale yest, of course.

Enjoy

Update 10-22-08 I added a half pound of carapils/dextrine to each of the original grain bills, for a bit more head retention. That was the one percieved "flaw" mentioned in both contests I entered it into this year, the lack of much of a head....I also added a pound of rauchmalt which though not overwhelmingly smoky, had some depth, but it is optional...I also racked have the batch onto a fistful of Jack Daniels Oak Smoking Chips, that I had soaked for two weeks in a pint of Jack to sanitize...it came out fantastic..It took about 8 weeks to mellow the oak, but it came out nice...I have set aside a six pack to enter into contests this summer....If I had known that Sam Adam's Longshot rquired 4 bottles, I would have stuck a few more aside..As it is, I plan to brew another batch in time for next year's longshot...

Last edited by Revvy; 03-11-2009 at 01:58 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2008, 03:00 AM   #2
Tankard
Recipes 

Sounds delicious Revvy. Thanks for the recipe. I'll add it to my future brew list.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 PM   #3
landis
Recipes 

Just what I was looking for! Either tonight or tomorrow I'm heading to the LHBS to pick up these supplies. We'll see what their hop selection looks like.

Commercial: Dogfish Head Indian Brown || Sierra Nevada Anniversary

Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by landis View Post
Just what I was looking for! Either tonight or tomorrow I'm heading to the LHBS to pick up these supplies. We'll see what their hop selection looks like.

Cool! Hope you enjoy it!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
Roasty
Recipes 

I've got the extract version bubbling away. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:24 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasty View Post
I've got the extract version bubbling away. I'm looking forward to it.
Cool, hope you like it.

I brewed a version of this this weekend with a pound of smoked Rauch malt added in for a bit of smoky-complexity, without hopefully being too over powering. What I plan on doing is to rack half the batch into a 3 gallon secondary over bourbon soaked oak chips. It should be interesting to see what happens.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Tripod
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

On my to-do list (to-brew list?)!!

-Tripod

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

Old 11-10-2008, 01:27 AM   #8
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm doing this right now, but with Centennial instead of Galena (about .3 oz).

Hope it turns out well!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #9
rossrainey
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

My LHBS does not carry special roast. I was hoping to brew this recipe this weekend following the extract recipe. Wondering if there are recommendations for special roast substitutions.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossrainey View Post
My LHBS does not carry special roast. I was hoping to brew this recipe this weekend following the extract recipe. Wondering if there are recommendations for special roast substitutions.
No there is no direct substitution for Special Roast....you could try "Special B" perhaps...it won't be the same, but it might be better....

or there was a thread on here from waayyy back that said the A mix of Victory & C120L would get close. You could up the Vistory by another half pound and add a half pound of c-120...

Either one you chose will be a nice beer, I bet...

Please post back here how it turns out.

Thanks for considering my recipe!

Quick Reply