Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Oaked Arrogant Bastard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #31
defenestrate
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyBuddha View Post
Would love to get a rum barrel for this. Any suggestions on suppliers/prices I should be looking at? Feel free to send me a pm
picked mine up from this guy selling them on the forum http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/used-liquor-barrels-230606/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #32
bojacked
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm gonna be putting this one in the works here soon and hopefully I will experience the same results you guys have. I'm going to the brew store today and I'm going to choose a yeast for this batch. I've got a few questions and I'd like some advice if you can help. I've currently got a wee heavy scotch ale that's almost done using US-05 (single packet), a pliny the elder clone DIPA with US-05 (double packet pitch), and I've got 2 packets of Nottingham yeast in my brew fridge too. I saw the OP used Notty and had good results but I'm wondering if it's worth getting WLP001 or the wyeast american ale ? Does it really change the end result that much?

Old 09-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
i would love to brew it this weekend, but i would have to use some different ingredients- i do not have any special b so i would need to use c120 and maybe some aromatic... and i dont have chinook- would need to sub with columbus

i think it owuld still make an awesome beer though...
Special B is one of the defining features of this beer. WIthout it you'll still have a nice brew, but it won't be OAB.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 09-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #34
GordonT
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojacked View Post
I'm gonna be putting this one in the works here soon and hopefully I will experience the same results you guys have. I'm going to the brew store today and I'm going to choose a yeast for this batch. I've got a few questions and I'd like some advice if you can help. I've currently got a wee heavy scotch ale that's almost done using US-05 (single packet), a pliny the elder clone DIPA with US-05 (double packet pitch), and I've got 2 packets of Nottingham yeast in my brew fridge too. I saw the OP used Notty and had good results but I'm wondering if it's worth getting WLP001 or the wyeast american ale ? Does it really change the end result that much?
I actually prefer the Nottingham in this beer. Adds just a touch more complexity and maltiness to it.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
bojacked
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT

I actually prefer the Nottingham in this beer. Adds just a touch more complexity and maltiness to it.
Perfect, that keeps it easy. Did you double pitch the 5g notty packets? I noticed the fermentis packets are 11g each do I was wondering if they had diff sizes.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:51 AM   #36
scottconnor
Recipes 

Stuck to the recipe exactly, save for a few extra weeks in primary because life happened. In my keg now, and it's great. Force carbed it, it tastes great fresh.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #37
scottconnor
Recipes 

Brewed this again last night, hit my same numbers as before. Thinking of adding some bourbon to the wood chips, anyone ever try bourbon with this recipe? How much? Thinking 5-6 oz. I still want this beer to be ready in 2-3 weeks.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #38
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 19

scottconnor - how is the hop flavor and aroma? How soon after the knockout hops do you chill?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #39
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Subbed. This is next on my list.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #40
scottconnor
Recipes 

Hop flavor is pretty subtle, the wood and the Special B are what shine through. I just racked this to secondary tonight with 3oz of wood chips that were sitting in 5oz of bourbon for the past week. Most of the bourbon got absorbed into the wood, but I threw the extra bourbon in there too.

I only got down to 1.020, where last time I brewed this I hit 1.014. I didn't put this one in a water bath, so it may have fermented closer to 60 degrees, where the last one was around 66-67. Dont think it will be a big deal, I'm anxious to see what the bourbon does to this beer.

Quick Reply