Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Oaked Arrogant Bastard

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
GordonT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDirty View Post
I brewed this 2 weeks ago. Primary one week, secondary on the oak for one week, then I bottled. I had a glass while I was bottling last night and the oak seemed very over powering. Really, all I could taste was the oak. I used 2oz of Medium Toast French Oak chips. Has anyone else had this problem? Will the strong oak flavor subside a little while conditioning?
In mine the flavours are all in a great balance. That said the Oak is pretty in your face. But with a bit of conditioning so is the malt, and the hops. Good luck with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 AM   #22
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

How much volume does 2 oz. of oak chips consume (e.g. a full cup)?

Did you drop them in the fermenter loose or bagged?

I do not primary/secondary. Any issues with either adding this to the primary post-ferment, or possibly the non-carbonated keg for a week @ 40 degrees?

Old 06-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
How much volume does 2 oz. of oak chips consume (e.g. a full cup)?

Did you drop them in the fermenter loose or bagged?

I do not primary/secondary. Any issues with either adding this to the primary post-ferment, or possibly the non-carbonated keg for a week @ 40 degrees?
I buy my oak in 100 gm bags so for me that's a little more than half the bag, and I use a scale to weigh them for more accuracy. I dropped them loose into secondary but I can't see a problem adding to primary. They do tend to sink after a week or so.
One thing I have since learned is that for a rough aggressive oak flavour, as this beer calls for, you add a large volume for a short period of time. If you want a rounder more complex oak flavour add a lesser volume for a longer period of time. How much and how long depends on the beer you are brewing and your own personal taste.
Apologies once again for the late respone but I am not getting notification of comments on any of these threads.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #24
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Wow, that's some serious oak taste. Hope it fades.

Beer makes me pee.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #25
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 26

GordonT - what efficiency is this recipe formulated for?

Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #26
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
GordonT - what efficiency is this recipe formulated for?
I've never figured that out but if you look at my malt bill and my OG you can do it yourself.

I'm brewing this again tomorrow, making this the 3rd go around.

Back to the original recipe as it was by far the best. Only other changes are Columbus instead of Chinook as I cannot get Chinook right now, and I'm using Wyeast 1056 rather than Nottingham. I have a Robust Raspberry Porter in primary, this will go on top of that yeast bed.

Really looking forward to having this in a keg again.

Update:
Yesterday was a great brewing session and the beer turned out spot on at 1072 again. One change I made is to pump up the hops in the late additions to 1.5 at 15 and the same at knock out. The Columbus smelled very much like Chinook in the kettle. The wort went on the yeast cake from a previous Robust Raspberry Porter and was fermenting within an hour, smells clean and looks great.
Just because I like to experiment I'm going to change the oak addition to 1.5 oz from 2 and leave it on for 2 weeks rather than one. The information I've seen about this says that a large addition for a short period of time gives you a strong, harsh oak flavour ( which suits this beer perfectly ). A smaller dose for longer apparently gives a more subtle and complex flavour. Worth an extra week to see how this small change affects it.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i think i might give this a try in my rum barrel i've used it once so far for a rum porter, but there is still some rum left to give in there... we'll see how it turns out

Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #28
GordonT
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate View Post
i think i might give this a try in my rum barrel i've used it once so far for a rum porter, but there is still some rum left to give in there... we'll see how it turns out
Wow! That sounds great for this beer. If you go ahead with it please give us an update.

“This is grain… which any fool can eat. But for which the Lord intended, a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about….. beer.” – Friar Tuck

Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM   #29
ShinyBuddha
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenestrate
Would love to get a rum barrel for this. Any suggestions on suppliers/prices I should be looking at? Feel free to send me a pm

Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonT View Post
Wow! That sounds great for this beer. If you go ahead with it please give us an update.
i would love to brew it this weekend, but i would have to use some different ingredients- i do not have any special b so i would need to use c120 and maybe some aromatic... and i dont have chinook- would need to sub with columbus

i think it owuld still make an awesome beer though...

Quick Reply