Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Nierra Sevada (Session SNPA Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #181
sathrovarr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

My LHBS has only German Perle hops, should I use it anyway or should I sub it with some other american hop variety (which I actually prefer so I could say it's an APA)?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #182
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathrovarr
My LHBS has only German Perle hops, should I use it anyway or should I sub it with some other american hop variety (which I actually prefer so I could say it's an APA)?
Doesn't really matter. I would use them.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:51 AM   #183
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

BM thanks again for this recipe. My keg is disappearing by the growler full with family parties this week. It's been a huge hit and I hope to brew it again this summer.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #184
Helly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helly
BM thanks again for this recipe. My keg is disappearing by the growler full with family parties this week. It's been a huge hit and I hope to brew it again this summer.
Keg kicked last night. I think I'm going to use the upcoming long weekend to brew a couple batches and I think this will be one of them.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #185
ave8tor
Recipes 

First time poster in need of some help! This was my first all-grain batch, and my OG was WWAAAAAAAYYYYYY too low (1.029). I've read John Palmer's book several time (actually, I'm again going over the Mash chapter right now) and thought I had done everything right, but something obviously didn't come out the way it was suppose to. Never had this problem before, although this was only my 3rd 5-gallon batch. Here's the facts:

-Mashed in 4 gallons @ 149 for 65 mins (rookie mistake here, waited until 155 mash temp to add the grain, which brought it down to a lower temp... could this be the reason?) using a 5 gallon water cooler w/ custom drainage system.
-Sparged w/ 3.8 gallons @ 170ish temp. Used an initial recirculation of approx 1 gallon before the sparge.
-Initial wort gravity was pretty close to 1.030... forgot to record it.
-Boiled for 70 mins with the following hop schedule (36.5 IBUs):
.75 oz of Pearle (8.5%) for 70 mins
.58 oz of Cascade (7.3%) for 15 mins
.38 oz of Cascade (7.3%) for 10 mins
.38 oz of Cascade (7.3%) for 5 mins
-Pre-boil was approx 6.6 gallons, post-boil came out to about 5.25.. need to take better notes next time.
-Into the fermenter w/appox 4.6 gallons. Using 2 vials unhydrated White Labs American Ale (WLP-060); one was a little expired so I pitched them both thinking it couldn't hurt with the way everything turned out.

I used all local water (I have a water softener), so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. I've wanted to get a water test done, but just never have. The only thing I can think of is the mash temperature. Obviously next time I'll dough in a little earlier to reach the proper temp. Other than the temp, it seemed that the volume of the water was a little much, but then again I did end up with a little under 5 gallons. Color looked about right, but that might just be my limited experience talking.

Any input or tips/tricks would be much appreciated.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #186
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

When you measured you OG did you compensate for the temperature of the wort?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:44 AM   #187
ave8tor
Recipes 

Took an initial gravity reading immediately after the mash, but I didn't account for the temp. The actual OG going into the fermenter was at around 75F.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #188
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave8tor View Post
Took an initial gravity reading immediately after the mash, but I didn't account for the temp. The actual OG going into the fermenter was at around 75F.
What temp was your mash at? If your mash was like 160F, if you did a mashout then the compensated OG is about 1.049 If the temp was higher then the OG is higher.

Here is a good calculator to use.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Old 07-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #189
ave8tor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
What temp was your mash at? If your mash was like 160F, if you did a mashout then the compensated OG is about 1.049 If the temp was higher then the OG is higher.

Here is a good calculator to use.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/
I was planning on mashing at 155, however by the time I added the grains, it went down to about 145. I was able to bring up the temp by adding some hot water, but I was limited in by the tun's head space. Final mash temp held right around 149. Would this drop of 6 degrees make that much of a difference in the OG?

Old 07-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #190
raymadigan
M+ Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave8tor View Post
Mashed in 4 gallons @ 149 for 65 mins (rookie mistake here, waited until 155 mash temp to add the grain, which brought it down to a lower temp... could this be the reason?) using a 5 gallon water cooler w/ custom drainage system.
-Sparged w/ 3.8 gallons @ 170ish temp. Used an initial recirculation of approx 1 gallon before the sparge.
-Initial wort gravity was pretty close to 1.030... forgot to record it.
When did you take the reading, after the mash at 149 or after the sparge when you added the 170ish water?

1.030 at 130 is a gravity of 1.046, if the temp was after the sparge and higher then the gravity is higher.

Quick Reply