Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Mojave Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 03:31 AM   #21
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

This won a blue ribbon in the B3 comp! (My first competition.) Not only that but three of the five beers I entered placed. Another blue for my Black Hills Robust Porter and a bronze for my Gila Monster American Brown.

The Red I sent was not even my best. I had to sub Liberty, Vanguard, and Argentine Cascade for the Sterling. It was good but Sterling is better.

I took the FG for my K-97 batch and it is very good. More crisp and maybe even cleaner than US-05. The yeast is a pain to deal with though.

Last edited by Malticulous; 09-02-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #22
Malticulous
Recipes 

I subbed pale chocolate for carafa in my last batch. It's not as good, it made it closer to a brown ale. I only had 4 oz crystal 40L so I upped the crystal 60L and added 2 oz crystal 15L to compensate. The underlying sweetness form the two oz of the c-15L almost make a licorice flavor with the c-80L. The original recipe is still the best.

Last edited by Malticulous; 09-22-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2755 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I just decided that I am going to do this for the AHC Teach a Friend to Brew Day on Nov. 7th.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 AM   #24
Malticulous
Recipes 

That's great to hear. I really hope they enjoy it.

Here is the one I have about fermented,
http://hopville.com/recipe/111353/am...-10-24-version
I have some crazy hop schedule going on there.

I'm going to try to get some friends over for that too.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #25
yeastbound
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnyboy View Post
I just plugged it into Beer Tools Pro and it fits an American Brown Ale as opposed to Red. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
This was our first brew ever. We skipped extract and dove straight into all-grain. It did turn into a DARK little number, but was an excellent beer. Very nutty with almost a coffee taste at the end. No aftertaste. I'm not usually into more than a couple of brown ales at one sitting, but my brother and I and one other buddy killed ~5 gallons of this beauty in one night. I didn't have enough left to bottle.

Upcoming: Something for us to drink, dammit.

http://yeastbound.com

Old 10-31-2009, 12:03 AM   #26
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
That's great to hear. I really hope they enjoy it.

Here is the one I have about fermented,
http://hopville.com/recipe/111353/am...-10-24-version
I have some crazy hop schedule going on there.

I'm going to try to get some friends over for that too.
Holy carp...that is gonna be some might hoppy beer....cool!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #27
Malticulous
Recipes 

I got my score sheets and ribbons from B3 finally. Scored 35.5. They thought is was too dry and not complex enough. Balanced well but needing both more malt and hops (they obviously did not realize it was at the limit for ABV.)

My old MLT would loose temp so all my beer were dry. My new Coleman Extreme 52 holds temp well.

I will add 10% Munich in my next batch. One judge suggested using a more estery yeast.

Their notes read very much like the guidelines. I thought that was how to get a high score?

Last edited by Malticulous; 11-14-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #28
Revvy

Recipes 

The current batch brewed back on teach a neighbor to brewday made it's debut yesterday, it was a hit with both my Brother in Law and My 86 year old mom!

Old 01-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #29
ftlstrings
Recipes 

this looks yummy. now i need more people around here to drink some kegs dry so i can fill one up with this!

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Old 01-22-2010, 04:03 AM   #30
Wallygator
Recipes 

ftlstrings, I can help you with that. I also think this looks tasty.

wg

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man, free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit - ever. They're like the Viet Cong - Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior fire power."

Quick Reply