Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Mojave Red

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
Malticulous
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default All-Grain -

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.013
IBU: 34
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 14
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Tasting Notes: Best beer I ever brewed. My wife thinks it the best beer ever and she loves all beer.

Mojave Red
Efficiency at 80% for a OG of 1.060
hopville . "Mojave Red" American Amber Ale Recipe

82% 8lb 4oz American Two-row
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (Franco Belges 80L is best)
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
5% 8 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2% 3 oz Melanoidin Malt
1% 2 oz Carafa II special
0% 1/2 oz Roasted Barley - 550L
Mashed at ~152
60 mins 1.0oz Palisades pellet 8.1
20 mins .5oz Sterling leaf 7.0
10 mins .5oz Willamette leaf 4.5
Rehydrated pack of US-05
Dry hop 7 days .5oz Cascade leaf 7.0
Carbonated to 2.5 volumes
Extract Version here

It's darker than the desert here but goes down very well in it. The Melanoidin and Carafa create an interesting flavor with the Crystal malts and the hop schedule complement them very well. It's balanced just the way I like it. Nothing is overpowering. I can't say it tastes like anything else I've had before. A delicious west coast red.

Took category 10B first place in the 2009 Morebeer forum Competition and third in the 2011 HBT west.

Last edited by Malticulous; 04-01-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Gold_Robber Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
Malticulous
Recipes 

I bought a six pack of Deschutes Cinder Cone Red and it tastes just about like this.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I love a good red. In many ways. Looks like a very nice recipe, where did you get the inspiration? I have only made one red. It was good, not great. I really like Ft. Collins Retro red. they claim no melanoidin, and no roasted. I think they lie. They say it is wheat.

I have not tried carafa, what does it add? Only 3oz melanoidin, and 1/2 oz roasted seems light. Have you tried wheat in any reds?

Sorry about all the Q's.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2710 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Looks and sounds tasty...I may brew this is if I'm off later this week like I hope to be.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-28-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
Malticulous
Recipes 

I got the inspiration from some videos that revvy posted on Bud Ale. I kind of stole the hops from there but the grain bill is just what I came up with from what I have on hand and what I like.

I do add wheat to many of my American ale's but with 15% caramel malts I don't see any point.

The Carafa and Roasted Barley are really just for color but they do add to the flavor. Carafa II is very close to Chocolate malt. The Melanoidin adds more to the flavor than the darker malts do. It's really more about the caramel malts and the hops.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
Malticulous
Recipes 

So how did that turn out Revvy?

Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroe View Post
So how did that turn out Revvy?
Well it is funny you asked, because I put one in the fridge a couple of days ago for the first taste tonight...

Well I think I mentioned that I had to go with belgian aromatic as a sub for the melanoidin, and that as chronicled in the "never let the owner of you lhbs drink the beer you brought him til AFTER he measures your grain" thread that he doubled the amount of aromatic in the recipe.

So overall it is nice and crisp and I'm not sure if the interplay between the melanoidin, carafa and caramels comes through in mine...The aromatic is a bit over powering, it kind of reminds me of the ordinary bitters I have brewed with aromatic...a little bit of tannin is how I have always described it.

I like it... it is unique...I don't know how it will play with some of my non beer snob audience, who are willing to try my stuff, but don't always like some of the more complex brews of mine.....(I plan on having people try it this weekend.)

I however will enjoy it.. and look forward to brewing it 2 more times...1 with the real melanoidin malt....and once with half the aromatic that went into it this time.

I'll keep you posted.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Malticulous
Recipes 

I brewed an amber with almost a pound of Melanoidin once. I drank it but I sure got a good taste of what Melanoidin does. IMO 2 oz in five gallons is noticeable.

I subbed a mix of liberty, Vanguard, and Argentine Cascades for Sterling in the batch I'm currently drinking (I thought I had some, but alas, there was none left in the freezer.) It's still good but Sterling is so much better.

I had a few friends over Saturday that are Keystone drinkers and they really did enjoyed it, along with some BGSes.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

The more I quaff mine the more I enjoy it, and the more I want to brew a dead on version of yours.

I just recommended this in another thread. He's looking for a quick turnaound time (he kegs) I thought maybe this could be pulled off.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Newb steppin up!

Mojave Red
Efficiency at 80% for a OG of 1.060
hopville . "Mojave Red" American Amber Ale Recipe

82% 8lb 4oz American Two-row
5% 8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L
5% 8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
5% 8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
2% 3oz Melanoidin Malt
1% 2oz Carafa II
0% .5oz Roasted Barley - 550L
Mashed at ~152
60 mins 1.0oz Palisades pellet 8.1
20 mins .5oz Sterling leaf 7.0
10 mins .5oz Willamette leaf 4.5
Rehydrated pack of US-05
Dry hop 7 days .5oz Cascade leaf 7.0
Carbonated to 2.5 volumes

I see that the Cramel/Crystal Malt is entered three times with a different "L" Can someone let the newb in on what that is? Also the Carbonated to 2.5 volumes illudes me as well.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Quick Reply