Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Manwell's Pale (Mosaic SMaSH)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
NathPowe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Default Manwell's Pale (Mosaic SMaSH)

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05 (rehydrated)
Yeast Starter: nah
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: nah
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.75
Original Gravity: ~1.050
Final Gravity: ~1.010
IBU: ~36 (Tinseth)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days
Additional Fermentation: 5 days at 64, 9-10 at 68
Tasting Notes: Super drinkable. Make this beer.

Thought I'd share this one with the group. It's become my house beer. So simple, so good.

Grain:
10lbs Maris Otter

Hops:
.25oz Mosaic (12.7%) @ 60min
.75oz Mosaic (12.7%) @ 15min
1.0oz Mosaic (12.7%) @ 0min (hopstand for 20min before chilling)
2.0oz Mosaic (12.7%) - Dry Hop

Yeast:
US-05 (rehydrated)

Mash at 152-153*F. The US-05 will drop it pretty low, so adjust for your preference.
Calculated for ~75% mash efficiency.
Whirlfloc at 10min

Simple SMaSH beer that tastes unbelievably good. Great showcase for the Mosaic hops. Comes in right around 5%, so it's a great session beer. Nice tropical fruit notes from the Mosaic. Do the hopstand - I think it's noticeable and worth the extra 20min during brewday. I do it with all my hoppy beers (I give it a few stirs throughout the hopstand with the chiller). You do get some bitterness from such a hopstand, so keep that in mind. I put 3min into Beersmith for 20min hopstand additions to account for the additional bitterness. YMMV.

Ferments out nicely in 2 weeks. I usually start at 64*F and then crank it up to 68*F after 4 or 5 days to finish out. After that I rack to a keg - usually cold crashing first. If it's going straight into the kegerator after racking I add the dry hops to the keg (strainer bag tied w/ dental floss), put it in the kegerator, force carbonate cold for 10 days or so, then drink. I leave the dry hops in the whole time while drinking. If it's not going into the kegerator right away I add the dry hops to the keg for 4 or 5 days at room temp, then remove them (strainer bag again) and prime the keg with corn sugar. It will be carbed and ready to go in a couple weeks. Tastes amazing either way.

The name has no special meaning (my name isn't Manwell) - a while back my buddy and I drank a keg of this goodness over a couple days and he just started calling it that. Woke up the second day and it was scribbled on the keg board. The name has stuck.

If you like Mosaic or are looking to try it, I highly recommend making this beer. I'm going to make another batch this weekend. I like having a keg of it in the back room all ready to go. Hope you dig it and happy brewing.

Cheers.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
showmebrew
Recipes 

This sounds very interesting to me. Been looking for something lie this. Guess I'll have to give it a try next weekend. I got half pound of mosaic for Christmas, so.... I'll let you know how it turns out! Should be ready for big fishing trip with the guys.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
NathPowe
Recipes 

Nice man. Good luck with the brew - I think you'll really enjoy it. Should be a great beer for quaffing on a fishing trip. Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Cheers.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:43 PM   #4
truekey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm assuming this is for 5 gallons right?

I'm going to make this for a party. Everybody likes pale ale. (I think) And it should be cost effective and tasty.

Just waiting for my temperature controller to come in the mail so I can dial in the ferm temps just right

Old 02-14-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
NathPowe
Recipes 

Yeah, 5 gallons man. Should be a great party beer. Post back how it goes. Cheers.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2032 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 4055

I just placed an order for the MO and Mosaic. I had a Mosaic pale ale at Freestate brewery a few weeks ago that was fantastic. I cant wait for this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 PM   #7
truekey
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I did this pretty much to directions with a couple mishaps. I substituted nottingham for 05 because I just like nottingham and they're practically interchangeable anyways

During my mash, heated strike water to 167 to try to hit 153-152 as directions said. My stove pot is just really good at keeping heat and I found after five to eight minutes it was in the 160s. I freaked and threw a bunch of ice cubes in it which brought it down to about 152-150 for the next 45 minutes or so. I've heard once you mash too hot, the conversion just happens and there's not much you can do. Needless to say, I might have a thicker, sweeter beer than intended.

Still hit a OG of 1.057 which is fine, but I'm assuming some of those are definitely unfermentables

Chilled to 64 degrees and pitched. Currently going at 64 as is the ambient temp in my house (still waiting on that johnson temp controller, ugh)

I'll post results and pics in a few weeks. Thanks again!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Got a lb of Mosaic hops for 10 bucks from a pro-brewer friend and was wondering what to do with them. Now I know. lol

Gonna brew this one up in the next few weeks with only slight variations. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks for the recipe!

On Tap/Kegged:, "Springthyme" Saison (Saison du Buff clone), "The Sh*t that Killed Elvis" PB-Banana-Bacon Ale, "Flying Hop Monster" Imperial Black IPA, "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Captain Meowmers" Maris/Mosaic SMaSH, "Snozzberry" Gluten-free Raspberry Wit, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Old 02-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2032 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 4055

Brewing this up tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I weep about society as a whole. In the land of reality TV and microwave dinners, the homebrewer is king.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:44 AM   #10
NathPowe
Recipes 

Nice. Let us know how it goes. I'm brewing a red ale with Columbus and Mosaic tomorrow morning. Great minds hop alike apparently.

Enjoy the brew.

Quick Reply