American Amber Ale Leftovers Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 62
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 60 (dryhopping)
Tasting Notes
Balanced between malt and hops, with a malty aroma and upfront bitterness.
This was a beer I made when I wanted to brew, and didn't have much in the way of ingredients. So, I scrounged through the bins and found these ingredients and hops. I like the amounts, and the ingredients, and wouldn't change a thing!

It's a balanced beer, with upfront malty aromas and bitterness. Then, you get the cascades aroma. It's not sweet, nor is it really hoppy. It has the right amount of hops to balance the malt, and give the bitterness to it. If you don't like the bitterness, you could back off of the 60 minute hops addition just a tad- maybe .85 ounce of centennial, or a slightly lower AAU centennial. I like it just like it is. It's not an APA, even with 3 ounces of hops!

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 82.72 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
6.1 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.49 %

1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min) Hops 28.5 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
0.50 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes.

14 days (more or less) in primary, then dryhopped for 7 days.

That sounds delicious Yooper! What does Special B bring to the party? I've never used it - and this sounds like a great recipe without it, just wondering what it brings to a beer....

I may make this in the fall, when hopefully my first cascades are spitting out some cones

thanks for sharing! :mug:

That sounds delicious Yooper! What does Special B bring to the party? I've never used it - and this sounds like a great recipe without it, just wondering what it brings to a beer....

I may make this in the fall, when hopefully my first cascades are spitting out some cones

thanks for sharing! :mug:

Special B is a pretty sweet crystal, so I only used a small amount. It's dark, even darker than crystal 120, and it's almost got the same raisiny flavor.

I didn't have any other crystal besides the 40L, so I grabbed the special B. It turned out great!

One thing hit me last night- I had just poured a pint and my husband asked me about what I wanted for a snack. I looked at my beer and said, "Leftovers!" He looked at me for a second, and then turned to the kegerator and said, "Oh, yeah- me too!"

Back