Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Lawnmower Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 02:30 AM   #21
HankyPanky
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Delicious brew. I couldn't wait till the 4th to test it. My wife had a glass and told me she can drink it anytime of the day. Looks like this guy will be upgrading his kegging system.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #22
mmlipps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The hop oz seem very low... Any recommendations on upping it?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
boydster
Round Earther
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 748 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 600

It comes in at 18 IBUs, which is in line for the style and is part of what makes the beer approachable for non craft beer drinkers. If you just want more bitterness, I'd up the Warrior a little. If you want more late hop flavor and aroma, try an ounce for a flameout or whirlpool addition of whatever you like. Saaz and Hallertau would go nicely with the Mt Hood, but you could get creative with whatever suits your taste.

Check out these cool kits at Know How Brews & Foods!

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 AM   #24
mmlipps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Went to LHBS intending to get ingredients for this. However with all the substitutions I basically created a new beer. Also I upped the grain bill to get a higher abv.
6 lbs 2 row
4 lbs Maris otter
.25 nugget
.75 hallertau
I adjusted these hop amounts to get close to the 18 UBUs you had.

If you are curious I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:02 AM   #25
boydster
Round Earther
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You're right, it's a completely different beer. Definitely post back with your results. I polished off a sack of MO right before I made this brew. I'm really liking GP right now, enough so that I may try this recipe with all GP for the base and up the bittering charge a little.

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 07-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #26
SchnookeredSir
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I'm eyeing this up for a shore camping trip scheduled in the last 1/3 of August. We're going with friends who are corona/miller lite type of drinkers and are open to trying something new. Since I am still relatively new to Homebrewing, would this be a good place to start when introducing something new?

As a side note, I've had a total of 2 glasses of my own brew going into my 4th batch. I ended up giving most of it away because everyone wants to try it, and it must be decent if word spreads and a 5 gallon run of bottles disappears in days!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:19 AM   #27
boydster
Round Earther
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnookeredSir View Post
I'm eyeing this up for a shore camping trip scheduled in the last 1/3 of August. We're going with friends who are corona/miller lite type of drinkers and are open to trying something new. Since I am still relatively new to Homebrewing, would this be a good place to start when introducing something new?

As a side note, I've had a total of 2 glasses of my own brew going into my 4th batch. I ended up giving most of it away because everyone wants to try it, and it must be decent if word spreads and a 5 gallon run of bottles disappears in days!
A good friend of mine buys ONLY Miller Lite. He loves this beer. I think it is a good base. It is light and crisp but still has flavor, and it's easy to modify if you want to branch out with it. You might want to skunk a few bottles for the Corona fans.

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #28
mmlipps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boydster View Post
You're right, it's a completely different beer. Definitely post back with your results. I polished off a sack of MO right before I made this brew. I'm really liking GP right now, enough so that I may try this recipe with all GP for the base and up the bittering charge a little.

One big difference I've already noticed is your original recipe you said ready to bottle after 7 days and with these alterations I'm on day 6 and active fermentation has just now slowed down

Old 07-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #29
boydster
Round Earther
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You are at a higher OG undoubtedly, just based on the recipe you posted, so it makes sense that it might take a little longer. That aside, I actually said I bottled this after 14 days in the OP, and I was referring only to kegging in 7 days since there isn't really any danger in transferring a beer to a keg and having it drop another point. When bottling, as I'm sure you already know but I just want to highlight for anyone reading this that hasn't had much/any experience brewing, you definitely want to make sure you are at FG before you put it in bottles, and anytime I make a new recipe I make sure I take at least 2 gravity readings 3 days apart so I can get a good gauge on what to expect the first several times I make it.

I definitely want to be clear for anyone else reading this recipe that I don't recommend anyone make this recipe for the first time (or any variation on it) and bottle it in glass bottles on day 7. Let your hydrometer be your guide. FWIW, I have had this recipe bottled in 7 days, both with 05 and with Notty, but I pitched closer to 1 million cells/ml/*P with batch sizes that were slightly smaller than the one I posted (fermenting in the Lowes food grade buckets so I had to reduce my volume), and the pitch rate along with careful temperature control helped immensely, plus I was already very familiar with what to expect given my system, ingredients, and fermentation schedule. When I made it the first several times, I took gravity readings on days 7 and 10, or days 10 and 14, then bottled.

It sounds like you are keeping a pretty good handle on things. I'm looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.

Big Jim Walker IIPA
Allagash-ishhh White Ale
Happy Hoppy Blonde Ale

Old 07-31-2014, 04:40 AM   #30
catalanotte
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Made a very similar beer with a simple malt profile (8 lb 2-row and .5 lb of 30 crystal) and used a British Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1335). Added a very nice yeast character to the otherwise light beer. Finished clear and crisp. This style is a define summer favorite for friends who don't like the heavier bodied beers. I'll have to try your malt suggestion next time.

Quick Reply