Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Lake Walk Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #571
BeerGrylls
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Here's a shot in the dark: has anyone tried to brew this with conan yeast? (a la Heady Topper)

Mine is about to finish its dry hop, so I had a taste last night (wow this is going to be good) and it seems like the type of brew that might benefit from conan's unique "bouquet". Just so happens that I have a massive starter of conan on its way. I think I will give that a try next time I brew it, but wanted to see if anyone had the experience.

Addendum: I got to try plenty of this beer this weekend, and it was magical. Absolutely my favorite beer I've made so far. Great recipe, the Simcoe and the Amarillo really do wonders for each other. Luckily, this batch won't last long enough for the aromas to start to dissipate. Bravo, Dude.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #572
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm going to brew this with marris otter. Should I skip the toasted malt or cut it back?

Old 11-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #573
Coupleathree
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Brewed this today and it was the worst brew day so far. Missed my mash temp and ended up mashing at 149 for about 75 minutes. Also, due to entering wrong information into a mash and sparge calculator, I ended up have a gallon too much of wort that I couldn't boil so I had to dump it. Ended up boiling almost seven gallons of wort down to 5.5 and pitched S-05. OG was only ~1.042. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens. Can't wait to ACTUALLY brew this.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:12 PM   #574
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupleathree
Brewed this today and it was the worst brew day so far. Missed my mash temp and ended up mashing at 149 for about 75 minutes. Also, due to entering wrong information into a mash and sparge calculator, I ended up have a gallon too much of wort that I couldn't boil so I had to dump it. Ended up boiling almost seven gallons of wort down to 5.5 and pitched S-05. OG was only ~1.042. Oh well, I guess we'll see what happens. Can't wait to ACTUALLY brew this.
Since you mashed low, it'll attenuate well, so it may work out just fine, if there is enough alcohol to support the hops. I sometimes adjust boil hops a tad if I miss target O.G., which is another strategy.

Try my 1st Place Wedding Pale Ale!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #575
BeerGrylls

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post

Since you mashed low, it'll attenuate well, so it may work out just fine, if there is enough alcohol to support the hops. I sometimes adjust boil hops a tad if I miss target O.G., which is another strategy.
Sure, because what happens is that your GU/BU ratio is off. Usually you'll want to lower your bittering addition to match. However, I brewed an accidental "too bitter" version of this, and it was still tremendous. (I put the 20 minute addition in at 60.)

Old 11-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #576
Coupleathree
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm not too worried about it. Just needed a place to vent! Tasted the wort sample and it was good, so I'm sure it will be a good beer. Just frustrated over my own mistakes, but what are you going to do? It's still going to be beer!

Old 12-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #577
gray7103
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This recipe has been my "to brew" list for over a year. I brewed this 3 weeks ago. Been on gas for a week. It is beyond excellent.

Due to time constraints, I skipped dry hopping. Plenty of hop aroma and flavor as is, I'm sure its better with the dry hop. Great beer.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #578
BeerGrylls

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray7103 View Post
This recipe has been my "to brew" list for over a year. I brewed this 3 weeks ago. Been on gas for a week. It is beyond excellent.

Due to time constraints, I skipped dry hopping. Plenty of hop aroma and flavor as is, I'm sure its better with the dry hop. Great beer.
After a few more pints, you'll be convinced that you need to make it again, with the dry hop as well. It's like magic.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #579
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I made a variation of this brew yesterday which I'd like to present to some people in March. How long after bottling does this beer usually peak in flavor? Is it best when the dry hops are really fresh, or do they need a month to settle down?
If it's better when it's really fresh, I'll let it condition a little longer in secondary before adding the dry hops so that I can push it off until closer to the date when it would be consumed.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #580
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

IMO better fresh like most APA's

Sent via carrier pigeon

Quick Reply