Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Lake Walk Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #551
njale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

i brewed this one a few times and its one of my favorites but i'm going to try brewing it with mosaic replacing the simcoe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #552
MW66
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

This has been carbonating in the keg for a little over 1 week and I took a small sample. Outstanding!! I've been trying to get a PA that I can feature as my "Haus Ale" and always have on tap. I think I've found it. I followed the recipe, but scaled it based on my efficiency and batch size. I found some Amarillo (scarce) and I used Safale US-05. I hit the OG and FG pretty much spot on, I mashed pretty high at 155 F, and I fermented for two weeks at 65F before drying hopping for 5 days in the keg. I then removed my hop tea balls and carbonated and chilled in my keezer. I wouldn't change a thing. We'll see how this tastes after a week or two in the keg. It should be even better as the flavors mellow.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #553
cobalt60
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Five gallons in the fermenter after a near-perfect brew day.

This was the first time I had used Amarillo or Simcoe, and I kept sniffing the hops. The tropical fruit aromas are amazing! I can't wait for this one to go into the keg.

Thanks for the great recipe Dude!

Dude Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #554
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Well, I think I mucked this one up a bit. My preboil gravity came in at 1.040 instead of 1.050 and I was trying to have a preboil of 50 liters or 13.2gal for a 12 gal batch, but I ended up with more like 11.5 gal or 44 liters because I had to throw out some of the later runnings because they were too watery. I'm not sure what happened to my efficiency this time.

Do you have any suggestions for how to hop this thing now? I figure that I will cut back the 60 and 20 min additions a bit, but I'm not sure exactly how much to cut.

I would just boil it until I get my target gravity, but it's already too dark as it is. I wonder if the toasted malt that I used was converted more than I thought it was.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #555
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by loetz View Post
Well, I think I mucked this one up a bit. My preboil gravity came in at 1.040 instead of 1.050 and I was trying to have a preboil of 50 liters or 13.2gal for a 12 gal batch, but I ended up with more like 11.5 gal or 44 liters because I had to throw out some of the later runnings because they were too watery. I'm not sure what happened to my efficiency this time.

Do you have any suggestions for how to hop this thing now? I figure that I will cut back the 60 and 20 min additions a bit, but I'm not sure exactly how much to cut.

I would just boil it until I get my target gravity, but it's already too dark as it is. I wonder if the toasted malt that I used was converted more than I thought it was.
Why dont you just top up and add DME? If no DME on hand then I'd say cut back the hop additions by the same percentage that you missed your target OG. Atleast do that for the 60 min addition, you can keep the late additions the same, wont contribute many more IBUs anyways.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #556
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I don't have any DME, I'll cut back on the 60 min by 80% and the 20 min by around 80 or 90%

Old 07-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #557
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a dumbass. My gravity reading was off, and the beer will be ok without changing the hops. I did the first addition just now without a change. Thanks for the help anyway!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:15 PM   #558
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

I am brewing this today, my third all grain batch (first two were Centennial Blonde and Nazz Session IPA from Zymurgy). I got whole hops for dry hopping, and my LBHS only had Amarillo in whole, so that is going into the boil.

I got a separate 2lbs of 2-row to toast in the oven, but when I checked out the guy there said Victory malt is just roasted 2-row and I could have gotten that. Anybody know if that is true?

Old 07-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #559
shelly_belly
Locomotive Breath
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Victory would be very similar to lightly toasted 2-row. Your guy was right.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #560
njale
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

victory is stronger though, use 1 pound instead of 2

Quick Reply