Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Kona, Fire Rock Pale Ale (AG Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 03:39 PM   #21
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehumble View Post
You might be thinking of Maui Brewing Company for the Coconut Porter. It's like a chocolate-coconut-coffee smoothie. I just got back from Kauai and brought a sixer in my suitcase. Awesome beer. They make a damn fine IPA as well.
You're probably right...it was on one of those danged islands...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

I've been wanting to brew this since you posted this.......now I have CAN'T WAIT! That 6er I bought was the fastest I've EVER been through

Old 08-14-2008, 10:56 PM   #23
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ale to the Chief View Post
Would anyone be able to convert this to a partial mash recipe for me? I am ready to try my first PM and this sounds like something I would really like.
How did this partial mash turn out Ale to the Chief?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 AM   #24
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo_Beer View Post
I've been wanting to brew this since you posted this.......now I have CAN'T WAIT! That 6er I bought was the fastest I've EVER been through
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
The results are in. This recipe is completely awesome! I think it tastes better than the original.

Tasted the first bottle on Friday and it's the best beer I've made to date. I followed the recipe exactly and can see this being my first 10g batch in the near future.

Kudos to BM on a fantastic recipe.
Glad it turned out well. I just floated my last keg two nights ago and I've been too busy to brew much besides house ales lately.

I gotta get me some Kona going again...

Old 08-15-2008, 03:12 AM   #25
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Tried Soper's yesterday.. *MY GAWD* that's a FINE beer. Gotta do this one. Gotta gotta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 08-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #26
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I finally was able to try the real thing and it makes me want to give this a shot. I want to start doing PMs, but i do have a question. I'm not really set up yet to do cold conditioning, unless i take over the extra fridge entirely. Would i be better served to wait until it gets cold outside to try to make this beer so that i can condition in the garage, or will i be okay just giving it a shot?

I should also ask Biermuncher, how many gallons does the PM recipe you suggested yield? Again, i'm not really set up for anything over 5 gallons right now and i am just trying to get all my facts before deciding between this beer and another.

Last edited by Donner; 08-15-2008 at 03:35 AM.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM   #27
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donner View Post
I finally was able to try the real thing and it makes me want to give this a shot. I want to start doing PMs, but i do have a question. I'm not really set up yet to do cold conditioning, unless i take over the extra fridge entirely. Would i be better served to wait until it gets cold outside to try to make this beer so that i can condition in the garage, or will i be okay just giving it a shot?

I should also ask Biermuncher, how many gallons does the PM recipe you suggested yield? Again, i'm not really set up for anything over 5 gallons right now and i am just trying to get all my facts before deciding between this beer and another.
That's for a five gallon batch.

If you can wrap a wet t-shirt around your carboy to keep the fermentation temps at around 67 degrees...you should be fine.

The cold conditioning (45ish degrees) is a luxury for any beer. But not being able to do that should not stop you. I wouldn't hesitate.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 08-15-2008, 04:24 PM   #28
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I fermented mine around 68F and never cold conditioned it...turned out awesome.

Quote:

Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #29
Donner
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Okay, so i have a couple more questions and i hope no one minds. I didn't realize until just got back to mississippi from my trip to my home brew store (in Tulsa, okla.) that the cascade hops they handed me were from Argentina and have a much lower AA (3.2%).

A quick search turned up a little information about this variety, but the differences are well beyond my limited brewing experience. My question is, should i adjust the recipe or try to order the variety suggested in the recipe from someone online?

Second, i've been reading the BYO article about doing a PM with late addition and am curious about the process and was hoping that someone with some experience with this method could give me a hand putting together a rough brew schedule for this recipe using this method. I don't have the capacity yet to do the full boil so i want to make sure i add the hops at the right time and extract at the proper moments so that my brew comes out close to the recipe.

4.5# Extra Light DME
2# Marris Otter
1.5# Munich
.75# Honey Malt

.50 Oz Centennial (60)
.25 Oz Cascade (40)
.25 Oz Cascade (30)
.25 Oz Cascade (20)
.25 Oz Cascade (10)
.25 Oz Mt Hood or Hallertau (5)

Dry hop secondary with .5 Oz Centennial for 7 days.

These are the ingredients i purchased for this recipe as per Biermuncher's suggestion.

If anyone can help, i'd really appreciate it. If this belongs in another forum, my bad, just let me know and i'll post it there.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 AM   #30
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
...If this belongs in another forum, my bad, just let me know and i'll post it there.
This is the right forum.

If you have the patience and can get them...I'd go for the American Cascade. The flavor is distinctly different. You'd have a good beer, but not a Kona clone. I think if you take the tough route and wait for the right hops...months from now when you're still enjoying this beer...you'll be glad you did.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply