Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Kona, Fire Rock Pale Ale (AG Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #261
Chris7687
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hey guys, just tasted a batch of Pale Ale I made. It is going to a beer club pouring at a local brewery tomorrow, so to make sure it was crystal clear I put a a small amount of gelatin in the keg to clear it. Poured it last night and it was crystal clear, but I believe the gelatin had stripped all the hop flavor and aroma away!! It taste just like a very bitter, watered down bud light! I made 11 gallons, so I cooled down the second keg of it (which didn't have gelatin added to it) to try as well to see how it turned out. I am hoping it was just the gelatin one and not the whole batch. I threw an ounce of Citra and an ounce of Cascade in the keg to dry hop with, but it's sitting at 40* in the kegerator and is supposed to be poured tomorrow at 7pm so don't think that is enough time for anything to happen with the dry hopping.

So on the trouble shooting end, if it wasn't the gelatin what could have caused this? I am having trouble remembering what yeast I used, it was either US-05 or WLP051, which the WLP051 I haven't been impressed with at all. Claimed to be "slightly more fruity", but I haven't picked up any fruity esters at all. My house has been sitting around mid to upper 60's, which is about right for both styles of yeast. Other than the yeast, I am stumped! It seems everytime I brew beer to give out at events something always goes wrong! This beer was brewed the end of Jan, so just over a month now. Wouldn't think the hop flavor and aroma would escape that fast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #262
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I've used gelatin many times and never noticed lacking flavor or aroma. Watered down taste likely means its not the yeast or the hops. Do you do all grain or extract? How did your volumes and gravity match up? Did you follow the recipe?

Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #263
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Mojzis - I do BIAB All-Grain. My volumes and gravity both came in a little lower than expected, but still had a 68% efficiency. Mashed 154. It may have been my palate a little off, due to the fact I came from a buddy's house drinking some IPA's and just had some spicy gumbo for dinner, but it didn't have the hoppiness flavor and aroma it usually has. It was all bitterness.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:17 PM   #264
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Kegged and have been drinking mine for about a week. I didn't do any clarifying other than a cold crash before transferring off secondary.

Mine's cloudy, but slowly gets clearer with every pour. Tastes delicious - a satisfying typical pale ale bitter note with a nice floral aftertaste and smell from the Centennial. I used leaf because that's what I had; next time will certainly be with pellets and I'll try the gelatin. I don't mind the cloudiness, but it seems to freak others out.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 03-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #265
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687
Mojzis - I do BIAB All-Grain. My volumes and gravity both came in a little lower than expected, but still had a 68% efficiency. Mashed 154. It may have been my palate a little off, due to the fact I came from a buddy's house drinking some IPA's and just had some spicy gumbo for dinner, but it didn't have the hoppiness flavor and aroma it usually has. It was all bitterness.
Give it another try before you have spicy food or an ipa. I know everytime I switch from ipa to pale ale I think the aroma and flavor is low.

What were your gravities?

Old 03-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #266
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

O.G. 1.054. F.G. 1.01. ABV - 5.9%. I used a little more MO (why I have a higher O.G. and still a 68% effic), as I was expecting a lower effic. as it was my first 11 gallon batch.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #267
dhoyt714
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed this beer 2 weeks ago and instead of boiling for 90 minutes, I boiled for 60 minutes. The beer is drastically lighter in color, but still tastes pretty good. It was my first all grain, so I was wondering if it was lighter in color because of the of the shorter boil? The O.G was 1.047 and according to the recipe it was supposed to be 1.054.

Any ideas?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #268
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 577 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoyt714 View Post
I brewed this beer 2 weeks ago and instead of boiling for 90 minutes, I boiled for 60 minutes. The beer is drastically lighter in color, but still tastes pretty good. It was my first all grain, so I was wondering if it was lighter in color because of the of the shorter boil? The O.G was 1.047 and according to the recipe it was supposed to be 1.054.

Any ideas?
There should not be a "drastic" difference between a 60 and 90 boil in terms of the color.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #269
brewingdan
Recipes 

I tasted my first Kona Pale ale last weekend and really liked it. The thing that jumped out at me most was the hop aroma and water minerality.

Does anyone have any recommendation about how much ppm of SO4 to look for?

At first taste, I'm thinking between 150-225ppm.

Looks like a pretty solid recipe.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #270
Avocet
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewed this Saturday-used the Wyeth smack-pack German Ale (a good date--late Feb) but in 3-4 hours it barely puffed up at all. Sunday morning the carboy was dead. Luckily I managed to find a supplier open Easter Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed.....

Quick Reply