Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Kona, Fire Rock Pale Ale (AG Clone)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #241
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
This turned out really great.

Thanks BM
Glad you liked it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 AM   #242
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Figured I post the pint!

I didn't use Maris otter btw, that's why it's lighter.

image-3479749216.jpg

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #243
Gixxer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 148

I just drank my last bottle a few days ago. Next time I will make a bigger batch. I really like this recipe.

On Deck Pumpkin Ale 2014, FBS clone, Port oaked amber, Old Rasputin Clone, 15% RIS

Old 02-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #244
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Going to brew this next weekend. Sending the wife to the LHBS tomorrow to get the yeast, Munich, Honey and Cara-Pils.

I don't have access to MO, but I do have a full sack of Great Western Pale Malt I can sub in. It's 2.0, instead of the MO's 3.0.

How can I change the recipe to compensate?

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
titansvol Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #245
NewBrewB
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have now brewed this twice, following the orig recipe but the second time I skipped the dry hop on purpose.

I dont have a hop spider so all hops additions were just tossed in--even the dry hop addition after 1 week. I just pulled the orange cap and tossed them in the carboy.

My beer friends agree that they like the dryhopped one better--but by skipping the dry hop, the beer is nearly identical to KFR.

Just my 2 cents. I guess what I am saying is the recipe probably works as long as you use a hop spider or use a musin "sock" to limit the hop impact on the flavor profile...or just do what i do and skip the dryhop.

I also think the Maris Otter is crucial for this clone.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #246
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hey guys,
This is the 5th or 6th time I've brewed this beer. It is one of my house beer's and a crowd favorite. I have had some trouble on the last few batches though. I can never get the beer to come out as crystal clear as everyone has pictured. It always ends up very cloudy, mainly after dry hopping. I have even left it cold crashing for a month after dry hopping and there still is haze to it. Do you all just throw the pellets directly in or do you keep them in a bag?

Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #247
Mojzis
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris7687
Hey guys,
This is the 5th or 6th time I've brewed this beer. It is one of my house beer's and a crowd favorite. I have had some trouble on the last few batches though. I can never get the beer to come out as crystal clear as everyone has pictured. It always ends up very cloudy, mainly after dry hopping. I have even left it cold crashing for a month after dry hopping and there still is haze to it. Do you all just throw the pellets directly in or do you keep them in a bag?
Directly in for such a small amount. To get a clear beer I do the following. Cool the beer to 29, let it cool for one day. Add gelatin the next and keep it cool for 5 more days. Getting almost no haze or sediment in my bottles.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #248
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Mojzis - per some of my research just now had three questions for you. 1) How much gelatin do you use? 2) How long does it take for your bottles to carbonate? I read that the gelatin strips most of the viable yeasties out, which causes it to be so clear but in turn takes away the yeast that would carbonate your beer via the priming sugar. I have also read that these yeast being stripped out also changes the flavor profile, 3) Do you notice a difference in taste of gelatinized vs non-gelatinized beers?

Edit - Per a post I just read from BierMucher. He states to add it at room temp. Anyone have any experiences to support one way or another?

"Adding gelatin to a beer that is significantly colder than room temperature will cause the gelatin to immediately coagulate and fall to the bottom. Gelatin should be added to beer before it is chilled, and allowed to mix thoroughly. Then it can rest at that temp, or be chilled. I prefer to let the beer rest at fermentation temps to allow the protein to bind with the gelatin before the gelatin wants to "gel" and drop to the bottom."

Old 02-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #249
Mojzis
Recipes 

I use about 1-2 tablespoon or half a packet (eye ball it). I stick a mason jar in the micro for a few minutes then let it cool slightly for 5 minutes. Add the gelatin, mix and let sit another 15. Then add to the already cooled beer.

Your second question is a good one though. When I add the gelatin in primary I get a decently clear beer (as above) and carbonation in 2 weeks and a perfect beer in 3. I think its because I rack some yeast/trub when I rack from primary. I tried gelatin in secondary for my last batch and I've got the clearest beer yet. Looks like its filtered. However its taking forever to carb. I popped one at 2 weeks and didn't get much at all, just a little hiss. So I'll check again in another week or two.

I don't think I mind though. IME my beers peak at around a month to month and a half. So I'm hoping to get a crystal clear beer and have to wait for it to peak anyway to get good carbonation.

I can't comment on the temperature to add because I have only done it two ways. Chilling and adding gelatin at same time (not as clear) and chilling then adding gelatin 24 hours later (much more clear).

I went from very hazy beers to good clarity with gelatin. I have only done 5 batches with it so far so i'm no expert and have a lot more experimenting to do with it. But so far i'm very impressed.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #250
Chris7687
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for a great response Mojzis.

I have a few IPA's and this Pale Ale (with a few changes) that I want to put in a competition , will waiting a month affect the IPAs and Pale Ale's hop aroma and flavor drastically?

Also, not sure if you have done this but with adding to a keg all of the gelatin should come out in the first pint or so, correct?

Sorry all on the thread hijack. Just trouble shootin my cloudy Fire Rock clone here!

Quick Reply