American Pale Ale Kona, Fire Rock Pale Ale (AG Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I taught a friend how to brew on my 10-gallon system with this recipe 3 weekends ago. He took half and bottled his this past weekend, I just kegged mine Tuesday night and can't wait to taste it (gonna sneak a taste today when I get home from work).

Question for those of you who have already brewed this one - I used US-05 dry yeast, is that gonna make a huge difference?

Kona used to use Galena, cascade, and mt hood like the original recipe uses. Personally i liked that version better than the millennium version.

But nonetheless, it will taste good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This recipe is outstanding! Although I have to say that I prefer the beer cloudy than clear. I feel it loses something when the yeast drop. I've never had the original Fire Rock so can't compare. Thanks for the recipe!

Hey BM, why the 90 min boil if there is no pils in the grain bill? Btw, centennial blond is day 2 in my fermentor and bubbling away happily.

I made this around a month ago, fermented for 8-10 days and dry hopped another 6... came out fantastic... the flavor and aroma of this beer were really something. Also it cleared really well with gelatin in the keg.
I added a half pound of honey to mine, at 15 mins to go in the boil for flavor and to dry it out a bit. One of my favorite pale ales so far... never expected kolsch yeast to be good for an APA. Thanks Biermuncher for sharing this great recipe.

I was thinking of subbing flaked barley for the carapils. Anyone have an opinion?

I brewed the 3rd batch of this last Friday. but switched the last cascade hop addition and the dry hop to Amarillo. should be interesting in a few weeks.

I brewed this on June 20 and made a few modifications- I'm not a big fan of honey malt in pale ales so I replaced the honey malt with carared. My brew day was not planned ahead so I made use of a dry yeast instead of a starter (used safale-05). I've had it on the gas for 6 days in my fridge and pulled the first sample last night. It's still a bit cloudy so it needs more time. On the positive side, the beer has a really nice balance between malt and hops which is how I remember the commercial sample.

Nice job BM in crafting and sharing a great recipe!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good timing finding this recipe! Had a Kona Fire Rock for the first time at the Yard House in Vegas last week and loved it. Will brew this today.

I guess the blichmann as a mash tun worked really good! for the first time i recirculate for the last 20 minutes of the mash and used a 1.5 quarts per lbs ratio, ans my efficiency went up to 81%! OG end up at 1.060,will see how the WLP029 slurrry bring it down!

Brewed a 2.25g version of this tonight using a Mr Beer fermenter I picked up at Target on clearance. I didn't pay enough attention to my mash volume so I started with .5g to much and was under preboil gravity obviously. Extended it to a 105 minute boil... and wound up hitting the numbers without having to add DME. Will let you know how it turns out and post the scaled recipe if it does turn out.

BM,

Just curious as to why the 90 minute boil? Going to try to brew this soon. Thanks.

I split my batch and added cherry to half. Bought a bag of stemmed cherries and froze them back when they were in season. Soaked in starsan for a couple minutes still frozen while I pulled stems, cut them in half, and pitted them. Put it all in a sanitized blender and then strained with a sanitized coffee press. Added to keg before carbing. Wicked good!!

Started drinking this recipe and I love it. Probably the best Pale Ale I've had to date. (Although I don't drink a ton of them). Really enjoy the maltiness and smoothness with a bit of bitterness vs the drier more bitter versions of Pale ales.
I also made a Citra Pale Ale and Biermunchers Sacred Summit which I will do a three way taste comparison next month to nail down my 'house' Pale Ale recipe.
Do not hesitate to do this beer!

Preparing to brew this from the OP recipe. Says to mash at 154F. Is that for 60 Min?

Brewing this now and I just made the mistake of adding my 60 minute hops at the start of the boil!

Is there anything I should do to remedy the issue? i.e. Shorten the 90 minute boil?

Can't believe I did that!!!

Just stay with the 60 minute boil you might have a little extra wort and it might have a smaller gravity , that said the beer should still be excellent! NO PROBLEM!:mug:

My Kona didn't come out as red as it should have. Followed the recipe to a T except for adding the first hop addition too soon.

I haven't had an original Kona so I can't compare the taste. It's OK but not what I was hoping it would be.

I kegged it 8 days ago with gelatin and stuck it in my keezer. Thought it would be clearer too.

Any ideas?

OG 1.051
FG 1.010

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1469825885.917402.jpg

Brewing this up this morning with my Brew boss system. Hope it turns out well.

Brewed this yesterday as my first all grain batch. Undershot the volume a little, but the OG was 1.056, so I'm happy! Smells and tastes promising! Thanks for the recipe :mug:

Nearly 5 years since the last post! Hopefully someone sees this and can respond.

I just brewed 5gal of this today as my first AG. Have previously made many PMs. This AG went really well - although I mashed at 156F, then did an infusion mashout at 163F for 10 mins. My OG was 1.061 - 8 points higher than BMs recipe! Could my slightly higher mash temps account for the higher OG? Will my beer end up slightly sweeter perhaps?

I brewed this for first time over 8 years ago and its still one of my goto brews! Brewing another 10 gallons this weekend! Can’t believe this thread has been dead this long! It needed a bump!

I hope they keep bringing BM's receipts up I'm brewing a second batch of centennial blonde ale this weekend the first batch won't last long as good as the receipt is. I'll pick up the grain this Friday and do this receipts next.

Back