Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #61
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Took a reading last night and we're down to target gravity. Tasting the sample we found it a bit harsh. There is a strong bitter aftertaste and a but of tannin bite. The beer is still young. Can't wait to see how it finishes out.

oh yeah, it also tastes like it's gonna go really well with crabs and old bay, so mission accomplished!

My fiancé and I brew together. No SWMBO here, only SWBBMS (she who brews by my side).
Primary: Kentucky Common
Secondary: ESB Base-Grain Experiment, Pantry Porter
Bottled: Lady Rumpkin Imp. Pumpkin Ale
Planned: Bramling ESB, White House Honey Ale, Sage/Rye Saison, Ethiopian Coffee Porter

Last edited by Hopelesst; 05-17-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #62
Keyes88
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed a very slightly different version of this. Big difference is I used East Coast Yeast Strain 12. Says it should ferment at lager temps but the label says 58-68. I have it at 55 degrees now and it's just getting going after a day and a half of nothing. I'm curious how this turns out. If anyone wants to trade a bottle with me of their ale version send me a PM.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #63
Keyes88
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy,

Why mash at 148 instead of 150? Does it change the sugars that much?

Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #64
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyes88 View Post

Why mash at 148 instead of 150? Does it change the sugars that much?

Simple answer, Yes. Your mash window is pretty small ranging from around 148F to 162F, depending on who you talk to.. Every one to two degrees will change the enzyme conversion just enough to notice if you did a side by side taste test. this gives you a large flavor variable range in that 14 degrees.. Long story short, every 2 degrees counts! Rock out with mash temp control!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #65
Bmor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just did a version which I plan on bottling today where I doubled up the rye. I'm curious about it too. and will let you know.

Any update on this Revy?

Old 06-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #66
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I think I only bottled it last week....maybe two weeks ago. I might pull a bottle tonight and toss one in the fridge.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2012, 07:44 PM   #67
jphebbie2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Boiling this as I'm typing. Mash went well. Started at 149 ended at 147 in my cooler tun. I upped the black patent a touch for some more color as I am planning to serve this on my nitro faucet. Will update in a month or so when I tap it

On Tap - smoked porter on nitro
-Sour dubbel (15 months on oak)
- pliny the YOUNGER clone!
- dark english mild

Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #68
Revvy

Recipes 

I can't wait to hear what it's like on nitro.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #69
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neovox View Post
I have a whiskey barrel I've been itching to use. I was contemplating using it for a batch of this brew I have in the primary right now. On the other hand, I've also thought about just trying it as is this time since I've never brewed it before. Anyone have any experience going this route?
I have a whiskey barrel on order. Should pick it up on Tuesday. I guess I'll have to do a batch of this and chuck it in. Probably won't be for awhile though. I'm putting my 5 year Barleywine in it for a week before bottling the probably want to do a stout in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmor View Post
Any update on this Revy?
I am drinking it now. Of course it only chilled overnight so the carbed wasn't totally locked in yet. In fact it poured with a huge rocky head.

It is definietly spicier than the other version. I'm not sure if I like it better that the original or not. I wish I had a couple bottles of the original to compare it to.

It's definitely tasty.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:44 AM   #70
New2Brew17
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't keg, nor do I have access to a nitro setup, but I think it would probably be awesome. I'm planning on doing a batch of this for the world series of historic base ball event I participate in, and considering building a beer engine base on the RV hand pump design on here, doing it sort of a cask ale.
I remember seeing in the past that you were involved in vintage base ball. A friend of mine runs a team in Massachusetts, the Essex Base Ball Club. Ever travel out East for games?

I was watching a game a few weeks ago and I decided to make a beer for the team and this one popped up. Glad it has a good connection to vintage. Planning on making this on Wednesday. Looking forward to it.

Quick Reply