Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #51
ao125
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah it is an interesting hop. I've never used it for anything before this. It just seems appropriate.

It would probably be interesting to do an "early american" IPA with it. I also think some of the early american beers (Like Ben Franklins, Washington's or T-Jefferson's recipes would be interesting to do with them.)
The last time I used it was in a Mad Elf clone and it fit in really well.

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #52
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I've left beers 6 months in a bucket with no issues. Just like hot side aeration is a myth, so is this worry about leaving it for a month is nonsnse. You really think if it were possible that it would ANY different if it were 3 weeks or 4?

This beer sat in a bucket for more than a month.......
Wow this makes me feel a lot better. I'm brand new to brewing and the thing I still haven't gotten a hold on is calming down. I started with John Palmer's book and tried to absorb all the science in it. I'm focusing too much on the little things before I get comfortable brewing.

Thanks for keeping this beginner grounded.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #53
bribo179
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Commoners made beer for thousands of years in squalor. People micromanage the process to much. If beer wasn't forgiving I doubt it would have stayed this popular for so long.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #54
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The only time micro managing is appropriate is if your trying to recreate exact beers for comp or commercial use. Most recipe will turn out at least good at any mash temp within range. Or many different hop types or additions. Or really any way you brew em.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #55
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

revvy I had a question for you. You mentioned hot side aeration to be a myth. I don't agree or disagree due to extensive info both supporting and debunking it. I was wondering what your personal opinion was. You can PM me if would like. Thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #56
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBoy530 View Post
revvy I had a question for you. You mentioned hot side aeration to be a myth. I don't agree or disagree due to extensive info both supporting and debunking it. I was wondering what your personal opinion was. You can PM me if would like. Thanks
Go here.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #57
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

We brewed this last night (BiaB) and wow we got terrible efficiency. We hit our strike and sparge temps. We realized we were under when we took the pre boil grav, but we did a partial boil and couldn't figure out what our diluted final grav would be. We added a bit of brown sugar cause we didnt have any dme. Final grav is 1.040 (58% efficiency). It should still be great.

Last edited by Hopelesst; 04-29-2012 at 04:32 PM.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 AM   #58
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

Im brewing this next weekend,im trying to get rid of hops because i have more than grain.And im trying to use them up. Any reason not to add some more hops at flame out?-think i might. Im going to use some "gingered" ale beer slurry also, I dont think it would hurt, it was 05 yeast. Probably using galena hops also but possibly hallertau,or both even. Ill post back my results.I believe in sticking to particular ingredinets for good results for recipes but sometimes good things happen otherwise,im hoping this is the case,i need to use up my supply before they use me up.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #59
Just_Mike
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewing this up as I type. Started with 8.5 gallons pre boil with a Sg of 1.036. My numbers in beersmith must be wrong somewhere cause it says my mash efficiency is 112%. Not really possible.

Edit: into the carboy at 1.050. I will take it

My life is better than your vacation

Old 05-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #60
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

I have a whiskey barrel I've been itching to use. I was contemplating using it for a batch of this brew I have in the primary right now. On the other hand, I've also thought about just trying it as is this time since I've never brewed it before. Anyone have any experience going this route?

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Quick Reply