Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 12:47 AM   #41
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The tradition liquor of Maryland is rye whiskey. What would you think of a version of this brewed with a larger proportion of rye and an east coast ale yeast? And do you have any suggestions as to just how much rye this recipe might take before the flavor becomes unbalanced? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #42
DanaDana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphebbie2
Has anyone tried to this beer on a nitro faucet? I need to fill that gap in my pipeline and have been looking for something other than your standard milk, dry, or chocolate stout. Plus a nice crisp session beer is always nice to have once it starts warming up.
I haven't tries it on Nitro but I think it would be great. Things that aren't as dark but on Nitro are still delicious. The tetleys and old speckled he in cans with widgets come to mid.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:03 AM   #43
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I didn't want to read through all the pages to see if someone might have asked this already so please excuse me if it has been. I want to brew this soon and stay true to recipe, so my question is; Is 5 gal your actual post boil amount, if not what is so I can adjust to my common batch size. Also do u recommend priming with table sugar or is that what you had on hand. And finely do you have any Pre boil SG, OG, or FG readings and brewhouse efficiency? In short, I want to taste the beer you taste!

Old 04-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #44
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphebbie2 View Post
Has anyone tried to this beer on a nitro faucet? I need to fill that gap in my pipeline and have been looking for something other than your standard milk, dry, or chocolate stout. Plus a nice crisp session beer is always nice to have once it starts warming up.
I don't keg, nor do I have access to a nitro setup, but I think it would probably be awesome. I'm planning on doing a batch of this for the world series of historic base ball event I participate in, and considering building a beer engine base on the RV hand pump design on here, doing it sort of a cask ale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesst View Post
The tradition liquor of Maryland is rye whiskey. What would you think of a version of this brewed with a larger proportion of rye and an east coast ale yeast? And do you have any suggestions as to just how much rye this recipe might take before the flavor becomes unbalanced? Thanks.
I just did a version which I plan on bottling today where I doubled up the rye. I'm curious about it too. and will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmBoy530 View Post
I didn't want to read through all the pages to see if someone might have asked this already so please excuse me if it has been. I want to brew this soon and stay true to recipe, so my question is; Is 5 gal your actual post boil amount, if not what is so I can adjust to my common batch size. Also do u recommend priming with table sugar or is that what you had on hand. And finely do you have any Pre boil SG, OG, or FG readings and brewhouse efficiency? In short, I want to taste the beer you taste!
My post boil amount is 5 gallons with a 6.5 gallon pre-boil numbers. I don't believe I recorded my pre boil gravities when I brewed this. The day I brewed it I was being video taped for a brewing video by a buddy of mine for his video production class, so although I took those readings I didn't record them on my brew sheet since there was so much going on. I can try to find the estimated numbers in beersmith if that will help, I usually hit my numbers. My beersmith default efficiency is 75%.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 AM   #45
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No need to, that info helps plenty! I can take it from there. When I brew it I'll be adjusting to 6.5g batch because I like to bottle 5+gal. also lets me transfer cleaner. I'm not sure when it will be but I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #46
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I just did a version which I plan on bottling today where I doubled up the rye. I'm curious about it too. and will let you know.
A friend of mine just posted the date for his annual crab feast and I've decided to brew up a batch of your recipe for the event. I love the idea of making a Chessapeake Common Ale, but I'm gonna do a partial mash of your recipe first. We're skipping for ingredients tomorrow after work. I just wanted to say thanks for posting what looks like an outstanding beer.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #47
Hopelesst
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just bought the ingredients for this with two changes. I went with six row for a bit more of a historical feel, and they only had malted rye, so I got that. I was assured they were interchangable, so I'm sure it will be fine.

Brewing tomorrow gives us just enough time to get this ready. After a month of primary and a month of conditioning the bottles will be ready for consumption 24 hours before the party.

Speaking of primary, I know how you feel about your process, Revvy, but I'm warry of leaving my brew I'm a plastic bucket for a full month. If my sanitization is good and I avoid hot side areation snould I be fine, our should I limit my fermentation to 3 weeks or so?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #48
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesst View Post
I just bought the ingredients for this with two changes. I went with six row for a bit more of a historical feel, and they only had malted rye, so I got that. I was assured they were interchangable, so I'm sure it will be fine.

Brewing tomorrow gives us just enough time to get this ready. After a month of primary and a month of conditioning the bottles will be ready for consumption 24 hours before the party.

Speaking of primary, I know how you feel about your process, Revvy, but I'm warry of leaving my brew I'm a plastic bucket for a full month. If my sanitization is good and I avoid hot side areation snould I be fine, our should I limit my fermentation to 3 weeks or so?
I've left beers 6 months in a bucket with no issues. Just like hot side aeration is a myth, so is this worry about leaving it for a month is nonsnse. You really think if it were possible that it would ANY different if it were 3 weeks or 4?

This beer sat in a bucket for more than a month.......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #49
ao125
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm a fan of Cluster. People tend to treat it like a trash hop for some reason, but I think it's a fun hop to toss into winter warmer and spice beers because of it's really spicy character.

I don't think I'd make an IPA out of it or anything... but it just seems so different from the major hops that have been floating around (Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, etc.)

Kegged (1/3): Traditional Old Ale w/ Smith Bowman Bourbon
Kegged (2/3): English Barleywine with pineapple chunks & brown sugar
Kegged (3/3): Belgian blond w/ passion fruit and brett & lacto

Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #50
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao125 View Post
I'm a fan of Cluster. People tend to treat it like a trash hop for some reason, but I think it's a fun hop to toss into winter warmer and spice beers because of it's really spicy character.

I don't think I'd make an IPA out of it or anything... but it just seems so different from the major hops that have been floating around (Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, etc.)
Yeah it is an interesting hop. I've never used it for anything before this. It just seems appropriate.

Quote:
Cluster--Domestic--All Purpose

Cluster is the oldest variety grown in the U.S. Origin of the rootstock is uncertain. Until the late 1970s, it was one of only a few varieties growing in the U.S. Excellent general purpose hop with medium and well-balanced bittering potential. This hop leaves no undesirable aroma properties. Good for dark beers with roasty and chocolaty aromas. Alpha acids content is 5.5-8.5%, aroma is a strong floral. It has Bittering with good flavor. Storage stability of the alpha acids is among the best in the world. The variety grows with good vigor and cone production.

It would probably be interesting to do an "early american" IPA with it. I also think some of the early american beers (Like Ben Franklins, Washington's or T-Jefferson's recipes would be interesting to do with them.)

Quick Reply