Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #31
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Awesome Dana, let me know how it's received on Saturday!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 01:43 AM   #32
xxdurhamxx
Recipes 

Revvy you wouldn't happen to have a partial mash or extract with specialty grains recipe version of this would you? Would love to try this out but just don't have the equipment for all grain at the moment. I have done quite a few partial mashes however so if it could be scaled down to something along those lines I think I could certainly handle it.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #33
cascades
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow, my first post and it seemed to have ruffled some feathers. That certainly wasn't my intention. Just for the sake of clarity regarding my original question, I have read a lot about secondary vs primary and have drawn my own conclusions. It's a deep subject with lots of information and many experts with numerous conclusions. My question was not meant to delve into that issue in general but rather how a change in procedure from this original recipe would effect this recipe in particular. The reason I chose to post in this thread as opposed to posting in the primary vs secondary thread was because the information I was seeking was only relevant as it pertains to this recipe. It seems reasonable to me. Very sorry if I was unclear initially. Thank you for your input everyone. Extremely interesting thread. Peace, happy brewing to all.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #34
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would again say, your beer is done when its done. People try to fit beer making into their schedule when really you have to work around it. Giving it a little time will almost never hurt it, pulling it to early will, IMO. You just need to taste it and if you like it in 2 weeks then bottle it (or drink it). It probably wont taste like the original that sits for an extra 15 days after that. That extra time will really make a clean beer.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:47 PM   #35
nspaldi0
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I brewed O'Daniel's Kentucky common and it was excellent. I hadn't seen this thread, but it will surely go into rotation. Thanks Revvy for the recipe.

Brew Projects: Finishing up my single-tier rig! It's taking forever.

Old 03-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #36
DanaDana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Awesome Dana, let me know how it's received on Saturday!!!

Went to the fest yesterday. Although I didn't get a prize since they only awarded 1st place, or a legit score (was a bit of a informal competition) it was well received by attendees. Everyone said good flavor, nice finish and no aftertaste. Quite sessionable!
Just what I was going for. This recipe will be one I keep on hand to make at least once a year.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #37
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

On my brew schedule ... looks very interesting

Old 03-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #38
DanaDana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

"The curse of the Kentucky Common"
Oh no, this beer went from being delicious and exciting to being the bane of my mid-week. I went to bottle up some bottle from the keg for a competition in a few weeks and I found that my father had thrown away a box with all of my pour spouts and tubing! (it was at his house) At least it is under the keg and on pressure.
ell I made 10 gallons so I figured I would bottle up the other carboy I had. I bottled it all before I tasted it, and I have some Belgian yeast mixed in to that half batch. Its not an infection, because it is smooth and not unpleasant, but it was not the character the keg had. More of a corn/rye saison? (does that even exist??).
I can't wait to puy some more tubing to get the easy drinking version back!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #39
bengerman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

did you just mash for 60 min? or did you let it go for 75 or 90?

Old 04-18-2012, 04:27 AM   #40
jphebbie2
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Has anyone tried to this beer on a nitro faucet? I need to fill that gap in my pipeline and have been looking for something other than your standard milk, dry, or chocolate stout. Plus a nice crisp session beer is always nice to have once it starts warming up.

On Tap - smoked porter on nitro
-Sour dubbel (15 months on oak)
- pliny the YOUNGER clone!
- dark english mild

Quick Reply