Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaDana View Post
Thanks for the follow up on the Revvy. Making this beer right now, about 10 minutes left before boil and then we hope for the best! I couldn't find flaked rye at my LHBS so I picked up standard rye and did my own little cereal mash (not sure if it even called for one). But I boiled it like a porridge for an hour, then plopped it into my mash.
Well you probably did it more authentically than I did. They probably didn't have flaked rye in 1910 either, I don't think.

Let me know how it turns out.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #22
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Sorry I missed this.

It's actually an interesting question. I have a brew buddy who is a master BJCP judge and he actually had to judge one in a comp recently (He also really really loves this beer) it was entered into category 23 which states,

The cool thing he said way, was that the brewer who entered requested that it be judged solely as a Kentucky Common, on it's own merits following what info was out there (Probably a lot of O'daniel's info ) The head judge provided the info to the judges doing that category.

As you can see from where I placed this recipe, I followed O'daniel's lead and placed it in the American Ale category. Though if I were to enter a contest with this, (which my judge friend says I should) I'd follow the lead of the guy that entered his, and enter it into category 23 with the caveat that it be judges against the info for that style.

It's really NOT a Cali common, that is an entirely separate beer style. It's similar, but the biggest difference is that the Cali survived and the KC faded away. I bet though that had KC been ressurrected like the cali common commercially, that there would a style of beer called the "Common" and regional varieties would just all be lumped into it.
Yea I would, and plan on, entering it as a Specialty Beer. I was going to do my last batch, but we drank it up in no time. I believe I read (I'll have to see if I have a backup of my info/research) that this beer was an alternative to lagers, because refrigeration was very expensive, and lager yeast was not used. That is partially why I chose American Ale. As for you using a lager yeast, I'm sure it would turn out great. Like I've said many times, I like to ferment mine near 60 if possible. Takes longer but is very clean and crisp, approaching lager characteristics. The book actually says to pitch the yeast at 60*F, so I assume they tried to ferment it cool.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #23
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I am trying to put together a beer that my rye whiskey loving uncle will enjoy. Is this in anyway comparable to that sort of taste? Revvy, your notion of a rye maker taking a 5 gallon sample to boil and hop is kind of what intrigues me most.

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #24
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Reevy, I am sorry for going off on a tangent about primary 2ndary ect.... That really wasn't my point nor was it the right place to do so. However it doesn't sit well with me that in this forum people say something like "completely false" and move on. That is not how people learn and my real point was let your beer age until its done, never rush it. Nothing more. The secondary issue was truly irrelevant.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
Revvy

Recipes 

No problem! I just know it could have spiraled into taking over the thread.

By the way. My beer judge buddy Bill told me on Sunday that he took a couple bottles of this to share with some other judges at a planning meeting for an upcoming contest, and folks raved about this beer. I got to brew it again soon. I'm brewing next week and I'm torn between brewing this or an English Mild....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

ChuckCollins Likes This 
Old 02-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #26
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If you made an american mild you could get both grain bills and repitch rinsed yeast!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #27
FarmBoy530
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Im about to use the white labs San Diago ale yeas for a golden rye ale, maybe I'll repitch and make this in a week! if the golden rye turns out good, I'll shoot you the recipe!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #28
bruin_ale
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Might just be the picture, but that looks considerably darker than 11SRM .. looks almost like a porter.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #29
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruin_ale View Post
Might just be the picture, but that looks considerably darker than 11SRM .. looks almost like a porter.
Crappy pic from my cell phone.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #30
DanaDana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

After 1 month in the primary, I just switched this to a keg for a festival o Saturday. OMG! This is fantastic. Can taste the corn (as you can imagine), but the Rye smooths it out. Thanks for posting this recipe. I will def make this again.

Quick Reply