Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #231
ScootersAle
Woof.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Brewed this a couple times now and really enjoy it. Upped the rye but just wasn't the same.

A little off topic but where did O'Daniel's version go? Looks like that thread (and his account) were deleted.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Air
Kegged: BierMunchers Helles Belles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #232
Hayseed
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewed this'n yesterday afternoon and had to sub a few things. Didnt have 120L crystal so I used 3oz 80L instead of the 2oz of 120. I couldnt find flaked rye and used rye malt instead , morebeer said the sub would be fine ?
No Cluster at lhbs so I used Northern and reduced 60 min to 1/2oz and at 15min tossed in 1/4oz.

Hit 1.046 OG right on the button and sample tasted good , a little sweet but I thing that will drop off some .
All in all it tastes good now !!

Old 11-11-2013, 04:04 AM   #233
bluelakebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This looks like a fun beer.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #234
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I brewed this up a couple of months ago( infact I am getting low on it). I handed a couple to a buddy, well last night I get an email with what was that beer you gave me. "I found an unmarked bottle in the back of my fridge so I decided to see what it was, it was great. I can only assume you gave it to me since it had no label" As I remember I used Special B in it instead of C120.

Primary: Chesterfield wild(1 gal),
Bottled: SMASH, Chesterfield Wild, Summer In Sommelsdijk
Up coming beers: Sati, Koyt or schipluyden.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #235
KidLightning
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

The first batch of this that I brewed back in April was not only too low in FG (1.040) and too high in IBU (~32) but also ended up with some sort of infection while conditioning in the carboy. By the time I noticed it, however, it had already formed a nice pellicle and didn't have any off smells so I decided to just let it ride (for the past 7 months).

Tasted a small sample over the weekend and it's turned into a pretty decent (accidental) sour, with a nice golden-brownish color. Maybe some sort of Münster Alt?

Anyway, I'm slowly lowering the temp on it (along with a schwarzbier) in my lagering fridge and hoping to get the pellicle to drop. Hoping to bottle this weekend or next.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #236
Hayseed
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I just bottled up a batch of the Kiss Yer Cousin and must of done something wrong as it turned out an amber ?
I used the brew in a bag method , and at time couldnt find flaked rye and used rye malt from morebeer , and local shop didnt have 120L crystal (should have ordered that too)so I used 80L .But for the rest I used all the same .
It didnt come out dark like Revvy's in the picture posted.
Any ideas how I can adjust ?
I did however hit the 1.046 SG and a 1.010 FG . The hydro sample was pretty tasty and the rye gave it a dry taste.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #237
tallguybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
I just bottled up a batch of the Kiss Yer Cousin and must of done something wrong as it turned out an amber ?
I used the brew in a bag method , and at time couldnt find flaked rye and used rye malt from morebeer , and local shop didnt have 120L crystal (should have ordered that too)so I used 80L .But for the rest I used all the same .
It didnt come out dark like Revvy's in the picture posted.
Any ideas how I can adjust ?
I did however hit the 1.046 SG and a 1.010 FG . The hydro sample was pretty tasty and the rye gave it a dry taste.
Revvy's picture is darker than the beer actually turns out. The 80 vs. 120 will make a slight difference, but the beer is really more of an amber or dark amber beer. It'll be fine.

Tapped: Surly Bender Clone, GhostRyeder IPA
Kegged: Sweet Stout
Bottled: Pacifica Wheat, Porter, Dukelweize,, Citra Pale Ale (SWMBO Classic)
Primary: Empty

Old 12-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #238
Hayseed
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I couldnt stand the wait !! Today it was 4 days old and I stuck one in freezer for 40mins and it had a nice frothy head and wow !! That is tasty !!

Thank you Revvy !! This is one I wont be without !

Old 01-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #239
davidgsmit
Smithaus Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewing this for the second time this weekend. This is one of those beers that really strikes a cord with the BMC fans out there, I suspect it may be because of the corn addition.

This time I'm making a split 10 gal batch. I'm going to bump the mash temp by a degree (for some reason my beers attenuate really well), then I'm going to add wlp001 California Ale yeast to the first 5gal, but for the second 5gal I'm actually going to lager this.
I figure there's a good amount of overlap between a typical lager and this beer, so it should turn out really nice. Initially I wanted to use the San Francisco lager yeast but realized that it would probably require a different mash temp due to it's attenuation profile. So instead I'm going to try it with the Mexican lager yeast which seems to come highly recommended as a yeast that shows of the malt profile of a beer quite nicely.

Anybody else try this as a lager?

Thanks for the recipe Revvy!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #240
OzzyBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I Was only able to get 2 lbs of the flaked maize at my LHBS. Will this make much of a difference? I'm not at home to plug the lesser amount into beersmith. Thanks for any replies.

"Just give up already!" - Nick Aliotti

Quick Reply