Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 05:10 AM   #181
ChuckCollins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Just brewed up 10 Gal of this !!!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #182
jglazer
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Just out of curiosity, how many people were able to control themselves and leave this in primary for 30 days? Its tough...

Old 05-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #183
mrklueber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglazer View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many people were able to control themselves and leave this in primary for 30 days? Its tough...
The first time I brewed it, i left it in primary for 30 days. Then ~ 10 days to carbonate it. The first taste told me that i had hit a home run with this beer.

Second batch, I moved it to secondary after two weeks because I needed the primary fermenter for an IPA I brewed. The 2nd batch was done with a different yeast and it was also very good but not quite as good as the 1st batch. I will be going back to the original yeast, Wyeast 1272, American Ale II, when I make my next batch in a couple of months.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 AM   #184
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglazer View Post
I was able to control myself and keg it when it was ready to be kegged (about 2 weeks after brewing).

Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #185
ChuckCollins
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Would this beer fit in 10b or 10c under BJCP or where in the Guidelines ??

Old 05-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #186
jglazer
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Just tasted and measured gravity for the first time last night. Taste is amazing. Gravity is 1.020 after 2 weeks though....and my original gravity was 1.046 so I am extremely surprised at how slow this is fermenting...its been at a steady 62-64, so I just raised the temp to 65 and will measure again in a few days, but I've never had US 05 work so slowly. I will also make sure to verify the hydrometer is accurate by measuring some water.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #187
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckCollins View Post
Would this beer fit in 10b or 10c under BJCP or where in the Guidelines ??
Because of the rye and the corn, this beer does not fit either of those two categories. It also does not fit in category 6d because of the corn and the dark malt (black patent in the original recipe). I would enter this beer in Category 23, Specialty Beers.

Old 05-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #188
fvirzi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i am brewing this tonight and am using 2.5 lbs of 2 row and 3 lbs of dme to make up for the other 2 lbs. will this work?????and i am using galena hops. would using the whole oz be a bad idea. thanks

Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #189
KidLightning
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvirzi View Post
i am brewing this tonight and am using 2.5 lbs of 2 row and 3 lbs of dme to make up for the other 2 lbs. will this work?????and i am using galena hops. would using the whole oz be a bad idea. thanks
3lbs of DME is closer to the equivalent of 5lbs of malt, but really it depends on your efficiency. I would use a recipe calculator. BeerSmith, which costs money but has a free trial, or any of the free online calculators should suit you well.

For the second question, it depends on the AA% of the hops you have, but using the whole oz would probably make your beer FAR too bitter. The original recipe calls for only about 6 AAU (AA%, expressed as a whole number, times oz of hops) and an oz of Galena is probably in the 12-14 AAU range. Again, a recipe calculator is your friend, but you'd probably only end up using about 0.4-0.5oz of Galena for this recipe. And yes, Galena would be a suitable substitute for Cluster.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #190
KidLightning
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Just got the Austin Homebrew newsletter for this week and it had this listed–

Quote:
WLP050 White Labs Tennessee Whiskey Yeast

Suitable for American-style whiskey and bourbon. This yeast is famous for creating rich, smooth flavors. Clean and dry fermenting yeast. Will tolerate high alcohol concentrations (15%), and ester production is low. Also popular in high-gravity beers.

Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 75-79 F (24-26 C)
Alcohol Tolerance: 15%

Might be an interesting experiment for this beer given its "reverse bourbon" grain bill. I may give it a shot if I find this yeast at my LHBS some time soon.

Quick Reply