Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #161
tieflyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpride1911 View Post
Just poured a glass.
Looks great!!! Taste????? Happy with it?

I have another 3 weeks to wait on my fermentation so I am going nuts waiting for it. Sample for hydrometer was GREAT!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #162
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklueber View Post
Well, just tasted this version of the beer and it is great!! Just the right note of spicy from the rye, light from the corn, and still reminiscent of a sour mash whiskey. Will brew this one again. The Cry Havoc yeast works well with this beer.
Well, we tasted this one again. Still like it but the family consensus is that the American Ale yeast gives a little bit more tang that made this beer a favorite right off the bat.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:58 AM   #163
biestie

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

So here's a question. I made this on Saturday, and I've never had US-05 rip like this. It filled 2.5 gallons of headspace with foam and spooged yeast out the airlock. I'm not at all worried, but is it the amount of adjuncts? Or just that no fermentation is exactly the same and this just happened to be the one that roared? In my experience, US-05 typically just kind of plods through, nothing to crazy.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 AM   #164
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by biestie View Post
S Or just that no fermentation is exactly the same and this just happened to be the one that roared? .
This....Relax......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2013, 02:32 AM   #165
biestie

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Thanks, I'm relaxed! I was only mildly curious if it had something to do with the corn and rye since they're not something I typically use.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #166
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by biestie View Post
Thanks, I'm relaxed! I was only mildly curious if it had something to do with the corn and rye since they're not something I typically use.
I've NEVER had a wild fermentation on this beer. It just happens.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #167
cluckk

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've been experimenting with US-05 lately and though most fermentations are rather typical and easy going, every once in a while I get one that does something weird.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #168
Flee15
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just popped one after 2 weeks in the bottle and it is awesome. Light, clean, a little spicy from the rye. Could drink a ton of these. I used Bry-97 and worked great. Thanks for the recipe.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 AM   #169
mpride1911
Angry Brewer

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieflyer View Post
Looks great!!! Taste????? Happy with it?

Thank you, I'm happy with how fast it cleared up. I can't describe the taste really. It's smooth and easy haha. I like drinking it and I'm happy with the results.

Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Baltic Porter 2. Irish Republican Ale 3.

Secondary: 1. Amber Lager
Kegged: 1. Controlled Pair IIPA; 2. EMPTY; 3. Dunkel Ale 4. Baltic Porter; 5. Kiss Yer Cousin rye ale 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Revvy Likes This 
Old 05-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #170
jglazer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I brewed this a few days ago. Probably one of the best pre-fermented wort samples I've tasted. Really excited.

I used US-05, pitched at ~70f and it cooled to ~62 overnight in an ice bath, started fermenting ~12-18 hours after pitch and it has had a slight/thin krausen for a few days now.

Quick Reply